real time web analytics
Report - - Victoria Arches, Manchester 12/11 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Victoria Arches, Manchester 12/11

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Clough

L.L.S
28DL Full Member
VISITED WITH MJS AND OJAY

VICTORIA ARCHES

IMG_0991copy.jpg

After pushing Ojay the cripple round Leeds for 2 nights in his wheelchair, showing him all shizzle Leeds has to offer it was time for him to host a night of Epic Lolz in Manchester. We had 2 drains planned but it was a no go so on to a place Ive always wanted to see.... The Criptoria Arches.

The Victoria Arches were a series of arches built in the embankment of the River Irwell in Manchester. They served as business premises, landing stages for Steam packet riverboats, and later on when the Germans went "Jew crazy" in World War II as air-raid shelters. They were accessed from wooden staircases which descended from Victoria Street. Now bricked up and according to Wikipedia completely inaccessible.

IMG_0938copy.jpg

IMG_0944copy.jpg

I can say that I got the hebegeebes down here, I never get them. Being in all sorts of buildings at the dead of night and all sorts but down here I was very jumpy and freaked out! Dont know why...

IMG_0947copy.jpg

IMG_0977copy.jpg

During World War II the stages and tunnels surrounding them were converted into air-raid shelters. The conversion, which included additional brick blast walls, took three months at a cost of £10,150 and provided shelter for about 2000 people but if the Nazis were feeling like pushing the "absolute set of bastards" thing to the max they could cram 5000 down here. The cobbled surfaces shown in some of the pictures on the Manchester City Council website show the same network of tunnels before their conversion to air raid shelters. The land covered by the arches included a street, which led at the west end to a wooden bridge over the River Irk. The old road was covered over in an improvement scheme, which began in 1833.

IMG_0985copy.jpg

The steps and landing stages have remained closed to the public for many years. In 1935 less elaborate steps were in place, some of which remained until 1971. In photographs taken in 1972, the arches are barred, and some are covered with metal grilles. As of 2009, none of the steps remain, and the original Victorian railings along the embankment have been replaced with a stone wall and new railings. Now there banging a big footbridge along over it.

IMG_0951copy.jpg

IMG_0968copy.jpg

And last one....

IMG_0956copy.jpg

Thank you!

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details