real time web analytics
Report - - W T Henley Air Raid Shelter - September 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - W T Henley Air Raid Shelter - September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dudman

I'm not lost until I give up finding my way...
28DL Full Member
Before we get started I am aware some shots are dark etc, it was really hard for a newbie to use a DSLR in such dark tunnels. Luckily I had someone to help with me!

I did this trip with a non member.

Day

After a week solid of researching this place we eventually narrowed our entrance down to a plot of land. Further to this we decided that we'd need more info and luckily came across some twat posting access points on his Instagram... Thanks! We knew we'd need some supplies for this, gloves, bit of rope etc so off I went to B&Q. After buying 15 meters of 250kg rope ( way too ambitious ) and a nice old pair of gardening gloves, of which turned out to be the best purchase ever, we headed down to the tunnels. When arriving we noticed a load of no swimming signs, reassuring when you're jumping a fence and not knowing what's on the other side. Anyway, no water phew! After a quick scan of the area we found our way in, very tight is all I'm saying (girlfriend was quite concerned when I came home and said how it was a tight squeeze getting in with Ben today. I just left her with that one!). Coming out we sat on top of the cliff and watched the sun set, must of sat there for a good hour or so, lost track of time since it was so peaceful and chilled.

History

W T Henley were a manufacturer for cable and electronic components back during the WW2 years. The tunnels you'll see below were made for the workers incase a bomb attack from above were to ever happen. I'm not sure if the tunnels were ever used for such a matter but from the inside you can see activity was happening inside them. W T Henley made 6 entrances into the tunnels all of which have been fully welded shut and nothing getting these bad boys open, the recent construction to do this done a very good job closing them up.

I'm not the best historian nor am I the best as detail history with my poor english skills! Hope there's enough history for you all but there's numerous reports with hella amounts of history.

Photos

As you can see the layout of the tunnels was clearly stated for all employees, and explorers ;)

DSC05708.JPG

Adult potty and petrol jerry can, probably used for the interior generator...

DSC05617.JPG

Fuse box, couldn't see any lights on the roof of the tunnels so still trying to work these out?

DSC05629.JPG

Found a few of these bones around the tunnels, exactly like what my dog gets with the bone marrow filling?

DSC05632.JPG

My mate showed me a cool light effect, turns out he gave me wings!

DSC05713.JPG

I see the light!! And no this wasn't the access point... I'm not that small.

DSC05695.JPG

Trying to get some cool shadows going, didn't work too well but slowly getting there.

DSC05683.JPG

And lastly who doesn't like a nice victory selfie!? Yes i'm the bald one at 19 :( !!!! Plus excuse the gut hang!

IMG_1345.JPG

Hope the pictures aren't too dark for you all, and you've enjoyed the shots.

As always, looking for constructive criticism and any pointers on how to improve reports and my shots.

Dudman

Last edited:

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Pretty decent report that I'd say, enjoyed it, looks like s decent location.

Only advice I can give really is the use of a tripod and long exposures rather than using the torch for spotlighting. If you search 'light painting' on youtube I'm sure you'll find some videos that show you how best t light these places up. Other than that, nice work :thumb

Might be a good place to start...

Dudman

28DL Full Member
Only advice I can give really is the use of a tripod and long exposures rather than using the torch for spotlighting. If you search 'light painting' on youtube I'm sure you'll find some videos that show you how best t light these places up. Other than that, nice work :thumb

Stupidly after climbing in, getting the camera out and so on I then realized I left the tripod in the car! Was seriously annoyed to say the least.

Did try some light painting but without my decent tripod it become pretty much impossible, only had my £10 digi-camera shitter!

Will defo be going back with the tripod and a few more tries of the light painting.

Thank you for the video and feedback, will sure to look at it all!

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Nice to see this place again, it's literally spitting distance from where I work. No water there any more you say? I'm guessing they've pumped away the lake that was there, not that I would like to have swum in it, it stunk to high heaven!

Dudman

28DL Full Member

Nice to see this place again, it's literally spitting distance from where I work. No water there any more you say? I'm guessing they've pumped away the lake that was there, not that I would like to have swum in it, it stunk to high heaven!

No water at all now, saying that though the land isn't too safe to walk on with normal shoes. It looks completely dry and crusted but once you step onto it the crust breaks and your walking on a jelly like surface, if it was sloshy enough you'd class it as sinking mud. Nearly lost my shoe because of the stuff... Glad you liked seeing the photos, was a great place to explore!

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Before we get started I am aware some shots are dark etc, it was really hard for a newbie to use a DSLR in such dark tunnels. Luckily I had someone to help with me!

If you're local and want to learn how to use a DSLR properly underground, I'm more than happy to show you. :-)

Dudman

28DL Full Member
If you're local and want to learn how to use a DSLR properly underground, I'm more than happy to show you. :-)
Based in dartford mate. Would love some help on this if poss? Maybe plan a splore to some tunnels close by?

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Based in dartford mate. Would love some help on this if poss? Maybe plan a splore to some tunnels close by?

Please don't use the word 'splore' :P

There's plenty of underground bits and pieces in Kent, I live in Sittingbourne so not a million miles away. Not sure if you can PM me or not, but if you can send me a message and we'll sort out a day sometime.

MrMysteryPenguin

28DL Member
28DL Member
Probably shouldn't post the entrance on a public forum!! Site will start to get ruined. I was down there a month or so back too but used a totally different access point!!

Rather than reposting here's a few my pictures, happy to help you out with the photography as I'm still learning too.

21207558351_77f27fb754_z.jpg

20576757254_1554e3f29a_z.jpg

21172961306_dd617fa21c_z.jpg

21010986810_03bd7181fc_z.jpg

21010817740_2c1ec4b352_z.jpg

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
He didn't post an entry point up mate.the hole he posted is in no way a way in.There is only the one way into this unless someone's been busy destroying stuff

Dudman

28DL Full Member
Probably shouldn't post the entrance on a public forum!! Site will start to get ruined. I was down there a month or so back too but used a totally different access point!!

Rather than reposting here's a few my pictures, happy to help you out with the photography as I'm still learning too.

Nice photos mate, takes time to start getting ones like those... Not to mention the time whilst taking them.

I did clearly say that the hole was not access, not event a 5 year old could fit throught that so the site is completely safe.

Will give you a shout on any local trips I do mate. Any help is welcomed.

He didn't post an entry point up mate.the hole he posted is in no way a way in.There is only the one way into this unless someone's been busy destroying stuff

Went down there again last night wev, still intact. To be honest it looks like no one has been in since this report. Left something balancing on where you come in. Locals around my area have no idea it's there.