real time web analytics
Report - - W.W. Laycock & Sons Limited (Silversmiths) - Sheffield - June 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - W.W. Laycock & Sons Limited (Silversmiths) - Sheffield - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
W.W. Laycock & Sons Limited is yet another relic of Sheffield’s declining steel and metal industry. Specifically, Laycock & Sons were silversmiths, manufacturers of ‘bias buffs’ and suppliers to the metal finishing trade; producing a range of items from cutlery and flasks to polishing mops and buffing wheels. To date, some evidence of the past and a number of the workbenches still remain throughout the buildings. Originally W.W. Laycock & Sons Limited occupied only half the premises, however, following expansion in later years, they subsequently acquired and occupied the entire site. The specific date of closure is currently unknown.

Like many others, this is a site that we’ve wandered past many times. Today, however, we decided to pay it a little visit. Although the site has previously attracted many ‘unsavoury’ visitors and dwellers, it has recently been partially cleaned – so there are fewer needles, pills and dirty mattresses lying around. While much of the site has been stripped there are a few items scattered around that catch the eye, and plenty of paperwork. If you like fireplaces too, this is just the explore for you! There are quite a few dotted around. We were also surprised to find an underground storage tunnel, with a few interesting items inside that have each been forgotten by time.

1: W.W. Laycock & Sons Limited

DSC_0314_zpsbb718535.jpg

2: Main Building Corridor (Ground Floor)

DSC_0024a_zps5d375234.jpg

3: Milners (Walk-In) Safe

DSC_0041a_zpsb553f212.jpg

4: Main Office

DSC_0059a_zpsb2492b46.jpg

5: Workshop

DSC_0064a_zpscc236889.jpg

6: Old Cooker, Grill and Hobs

DSC_0131_zps85f8d3af.jpg

7: Sheffield Smelting Invoice

DSC_0147_zpsc255e65c.jpg

8: Old Stove - Pots and Pans

DSC_0223a_zps7d499f1b.jpg

9: Old Solid Metal Stove

DSC_0406a_zps1ecf072d.jpg

10: Burnt Out Workshop (Upstairs)

DSC_0239a_zps33306cd2.jpg

11: Burnt Out Workshop (Upstairs)

DSC_0422a_zpscc8360a7.jpg

12: The Iconic St. Paul's Tower from Workshop Window

DSC_0439a_zps49eac238.jpg

13: Storage Tunnel Door

DSC_0278a_zps92e4bc3e.jpg

14: First Section of Storage Tunnel

DSC_0280a_zps690b0646.jpg

15: Old Jug

DSC_0287a_zps111d4dfd.jpg

16: Container Full of... Metal Things?

DSC_0297a_zps52f5ee72.jpg

17: Workshop

DSC_0324_zps9235246d.jpg

18: Clocking In/Out Machine

DSC_0369a_zpsf218ce81.jpg

19: Centre Courtyard

DSC_0514a_zpsa371ab7f.jpg

20: Storage Rooms

DSC_0548_zps95238b08.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :thumb

I liked this place, pity all the interesting stuff had already gone When I was here back in April I had to bale out PDQ as 3 druggies ? Turned up and came upstairs where I was Not good hanging off a window ledge following shoulder surgery lol

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :thumb

I liked this place, pity all the interesting stuff had already gone When I was here back in April I had to bale out PDQ as 3 druggies ? Turned up and came upstairs where I was Not good hanging off a window ledge following shoulder surgery lol

Cheers mate :) Glad you enjoyed.

I went along expecting company, but the place seems a bit cleaner. I was hoping some of the old machines would still be in there :( There used to be a boring type of tool there that I was keen to find.

How is that shoulder now? You feeling recovered?

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Aye nice report that!

Stanley used to have a sweet clocking machine, not sure if it's still there like.

clockingoff_zps1f4f35d9.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers mate :) Glad you enjoyed.

I went along expecting company, but the place seems a bit cleaner. I was hoping some of the old machines would still be in there :( There used to be a boring type of tool there that I was keen to find.

How is that shoulder now? You feeling recovered?

Shoulders improving slowly thanks for asking mate, it"s ok for climbing etc (must be the adrenaline :) just a little weak for work ......honest Boss :D

It had already been gutted by the time i called in :( But was a nice leisurely explore until they arrived :eek: I did wish i"d a Padlock with me to lock the gates as i exited, that"d have been Karma for all the pain they caused me bailing out of the window :)

Just a good job i"d already got dressed 5mins before they turned up :eek: They"d need Therapy after that ;)

Must admit that Workshop (pic 10) reminded me of Sheffield Ski Village but without the broken porcelain

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Shoulders improving slowly thanks for asking mate, it"s ok for climbing etc (must be the adrenaline :) just a little weak for work ......honest Boss :D

It had already been gutted by the time i called in :( But was a nice leisurely explore until they arrived :eek: I did wish i"d a Padlock with me to lock the gates as i exited, that"d have been Karma for all the pain they caused me bailing out of the window :)

Just a good job i"d already got dressed 5mins before they turned up :eek: They"d need Therapy after that ;)

Must admit that Workshop (pic 10) reminded me of Sheffield Ski Village but without the broken porcelain

Glad to hear it's getting there :) Haha, a tiny bit of climbing never did anyone any harm.

Lmao, you should have done it with the padlock! :D

To be honest, it does look very similar to the ski village. I managed to see most of it before it was entirely burnt, but in the end it looked very much like that photo. Not been down there for a while. I've heard that all the slopes have been ripped up.