real time web analytics
Report - - Wellburn House, Dundee - November 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wellburn House, Dundee - November 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This place has evaded me for some time and taken several attempts. But being local it was easy enough to keep trying. It was nice to have something new so close to home and once I finally cracked the place it was a far more relaxed solo wander than I expected.

Some really nice features in here, and I don't think anyone else has been. I know others probably have their eyes on it but I don't think they would willingly choose the only feasible access point I could manage, it was quite an experience, so I hope this one stays off the radar. The goons up here are running out of places quickly so it's nice seeing their fb post become less and less.

History pieced together from various sources:

THE LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR IN DUNDEE FOR 151 YEARS
About 1847 there were approximately 200 Catholics living in Lochee and their nearest church was St Andrew's in the Nethergate. At this time Fr. Stephen Keenan purchased a property at Liff Road known as "Waltons" (name later changed to Wellburn), in order to build an academy to be known as St Clements. This seminary was for the board and education of young men who proposed to enter upon learned or commercial professions. The coach house was renovated and converted into a church for public worship and the first mass was celebrated on 8th September, 1848. In 1849 a new wing was built at St Clement's Academy. In 1850 Balgay Farm (nicknamed the Priest's Farm) was purchased in order to build a hospital beside the academy. The school closed in February, 1854.
By 1853 the catholic population was in the region of 500 and it was decided to build another chapel in the grounds. Fr. Kinsella, the parish priest, carried out this plan and it was used as a public place of worship until 1884. This building became the laundry. Wellburn was tended by the Sisters of Mercy until 1860, when they moved down to Larch Street. St Joseph's Church was built on the former convent grounds.

In 1863 four Little Sisters and two novices of order of The Little Sisters of the Poor, arrived in Dundee where man named Thiebault, a rich industrialist, wished to see them installed. The sisters lived in the white cottage ,at the junction of Blackness Road and Glenagnes Road until they took up residence in Wellburn. With Father Ernest Lelievre, Mr Thiebault bought them the property in Liff Road, asking only that the small chapel serving the growing community of Irish Catholics in Lochee continue to be used.

Wellburn St Joseph's opened 27 April, 1863 with five lady residents. In 1868 an extension was completed for men and over the next five years the number of residents grew to nearly 100.
In 1866 the local authority erected an isolation hospital within the grounds of Wellburn. The hospital', which was timber built, was used for several years, and served Dundee and Lochee. In 1874 it was removed to King's Cross Hospital, before it was later destroyed.

In 2014 tile order of The Little Sisters of the Poor announced that they would be leaving Wellburn at the beginning of 2015. The Diocese of Dunkeld took over the running of the care home until 2017 when the inquest into the death of a 95 year old resident took place and the findings resulted in the Care Inspectorate closing the place down with immediate effect in June 2017. In August 2019 it was announced that Wellburn House will be demolished and the site used for housing.

It's a shame that it is going to be demolished, from the outside it is a very nice building, and it has some really nice staircases and lifts.

pzOTszeh.jpg

87sBK0hh.jpg

osIToePh.jpg

I1e5HaKh.jpg

OXaCf2ih.jpg

J3RrB1kh.jpg

YMdxKBKh.jpg

oCjInLRh.jpg

EzF7rk9h.jpg

W35cJD7h.jpg

H5l5JtWh.jpg

gVY7SKqh.jpg

RN2XYgEh.jpg

sYQTGN8h.jpg

I loved this radiator:

B4p1Zn9h.jpg

WvRjRcdh.jpg

utCyja1h.jpg

JpRbDj5h.jpg

f9eaWj5h.jpg

McD4gj6h.jpg

The chapel was the main draw for me to this place, sadly it was empty and a bit of a mess:

3OF1GyRh.jpg

L9TO5HSh.jpg

Thanks for looking!