real time web analytics
Report - - Cefn Coed Hospital, Swansea, May 2022 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cefn Coed Hospital, Swansea, May 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Cefn Coed Mental Hospital / Ysbyty Cefn Coed

Drone Image: Looking North

Partially closed in 2015 due to falling patient numbers and the construction of modernised buildings elsewhere, Cefn Coed Metal Hospital has been ventured within for a few years since closure with the tourist visit numbers skyrocketing in recent months.​

The historical aspects

Having been covered a few times prior I'll place the history into a shorter format.

For those wishing to read further I'd suggest the following:
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/cefn-coed-hospital-swansea-april-2017.132821/ (Tumbles)

The Public Health Act of 1891 would form the requirement for each borough to provide health services to the sick and poor. This also saw the need for an asylum to be built within the boroughs to treat patients suffering with their mental health whilst keeping them separated and safe from general society.

After a few other considerations the site for an asylum in Swansea borough of Glamorgan of Cefn Coed would be chosen in 1908. With complications of the first world war delaying a start, work would begin in 1928 with the assistance of a mass workforce and the push from chairman Alderman William Owen it saw opening in late 1932.
The first patients would be transferred, from Talgarth and other asylums, who were originally from the Swansea area at a number of 250. Additional numbers would come from others in the local area with conditions such as learning difficulties.

In regards to design it would use the proven compact arrow layout, now being of the later purpose built asylums, with the hospital designed by George Thomas Hine. George Hine would pass in 1916 before construction would even begin with the architect Hallam Carter-Pegg overseeing construction using Hines' design.
Hines' design of the compact arrow saw the administration block at the forefront with the wards spread to the sides behind it with men and women separated.
The hall, canteen and other supporting areas would be in the centre giving the building an open feeling.
The medical superintendent, appointed around 12 months before the hospitals opening, would also make alterations to the design noting how there should be no use of padded cells within and the ones that had already been installed to be dismantled and used as storage space.

Although still rather institutionalised, treatment within would be aimed towards allowing patents to be active outside on the hospitals' farm as well as engaging in sports with other therapies such as occupational therapy and hypnosis employed within.
During the second world war the hospital would cater to casualties alongside normal patients before returning fully as a mental hospital afterwards.
The hospital would begin to administer the first of antiphyscotic drugs in the 1950s venturing further into antidepressants as time went on.
Although first used prior, Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) would see further use within during the 60's and later developed for treating depression and psychosis.

By the late 60's and into the 70's the hospital would focus further into treating dementia as well as those suffering from alcohol and drug abuse with existing wards adapted to these needs and additional staff employed.

Like most asylums adapted to mental hospitals the Care In The Community Act, when applied in 1983, would see a downturn in patient numbers who stayed within the hospitals' wards seeing the total capacity of 650 patients emptying. Eventually modernised facilities would be constructed on site and elsewhere in Wales seeing all but 2 wards of the initial hospital closing by 2015 with the existing areas already declared unfit by 2012.

Anyway, the visit.

Being one I had known about for a few years now it was about time we paid a visit, with a large amount of recent visits it made sense to give it a shot. Skirting around the cameras the entry was simple enough although navigation was far from straight forward. We were constantly disorientated within and I still can't entirely figure out where each photo was taken.

Internal Map

The photos are not in any specific order, and nor are they perfect because my white balance essentially said "haha, screw you", but I'll try and clump them into groups. A lot of these are from the eastern section of the hospital.

Starting off in the Admin block, which was last on our visit.

The Hall, surrounding corridors, kitchen and X-Ray Room.

Connecting Corridors from the Admin Block.

Hall

The colouration of the tiles denotes the East and West of the hospital for the segregated genders.

Kitchen

Staff Canteen

X-Ray Room and Chapel

Moving over to the most North-Eastern Ward, Number 6 with Number 3 underneath, this one shows arguably some of the best areas of the hospital.

Wards 2 and 1 to the South.

To Be Continued

Attachments

• E Cefn Other (2).jpg
    E Cefn Other (2).jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 78

KPUrban_

Regular User
Continued

The Boiler House

There was no access to the water tower from here and as I'd discover a week later we had walked past the entry after I was sent a photo from a friend.

As said earlier, I'm not entirely sure where everything else was taken so I'll place these as a mixed selection of images.

An already existing hole.

Anyways, That'll be all.

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Regular User
Very nice mate. Them tiled decaying corridors are so nice.
The tiled corridors are certainly a distinct theme of this place, as much as I hate that style of flooring. The levels of decay is a shock considering the short amount of time it has been vacant.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The tiled corridors are certainly a distinct theme of this place, as much as I hate that style of flooring. The levels of decay is a shock considering the short amount of time it has been vacant.
Definatley. Seeing the reports from not too many years ago it's decayed heavily. I personally like the tiles.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Definatley. Seeing the reports from not too many years ago it's decayed heavily. I personally like the tiles.

It’s partly it’s location on the hill. They boarded it up straight away and it got very humid/mouldy inside almost within first few months. That’s just accelerated the decay

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It’s partly it’s location on the hill. They boarded it up straight away and it got very humid/mouldy inside almost within first few months. That’s just accelerated the decay
Oh thanks for that. I did wonder how it could decay that quickly. Considering the buildings look solid. Not like Talgarth were the roof got stripped.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Oh thanks for that. I did wonder how it could decay that quickly. Considering the buildings look solid. Not like Talgarth were the roof got stripped.

I remember doing tours with the Swansea Bay Heritage Group about 2-3 months after they boarded it up and it was a nightmare. Mould everywhere. There was literally no air flowing through the inside but the sun heated it up each day.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cracking report and really well covered. One I'd like to do myself. Perfect about of decay - and the peeling paint/walls are excellent! I love the black and white floor tiles in the corridors too.

KPUrban_

Regular User
Cracking report and really well covered. One I'd like to do myself. Perfect about of decay - and the peeling paint/walls are excellent! I love the black and white floor tiles in the corridors too.
Great shots, KP . Another one I need to get back to. These asylums need to stop aging so well.
Thanks both. The decay, mostly just peely paint, is certainly mesmerising. Always worth a 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th or 10,000th visit to these.

Who has read this thread (Total: 226) View details