real time web analytics
Report - - Decepticon, Sheffield, August 2018 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Decepticon, Sheffield, August 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
ED61AC8A-A0FD-4C10-8279-4586D2A8CF80.jpeg

I distinctly remember the first time I became aware of Decepticon as it was also the first time I discovered this website. It was August 2010, the result an internet search prompted by having wandered by and peered down to that open bit of (what turned out to be) Megatron ('Is the river really beautiful...?') and wondering what the hell was down there. A recent Facebook Memories reminder confirms that I also shared a link to this site at the time (to a largely disinterested audience of friends and family on Facebook) name-checking both Megatron and Decepticon as the two highlights.

I remember my mind being slightly blown as I realised that, not only were there drains that looked a bit like corridors from spacecrafts hiding away in the city I lived in, but also that there were people prepared to go in them, take pictures and share them on the internet. (The fact that they gave some of them the names of Transformers was also pretty intriguing too.) This was all very exciting, I could almost feel the world expanding... ... if only I knew how to use a camera, wasn't so claustrophobic, not to mention clumsy, etc etc, I thought, that's something I'd like to be doing. Fast forward eight years to the week and, after many other derps and drains, I finally made it into the (second) drain that sparked my interest in the first place. Dunno why I’d not done this sooner, in fact, but it’s ticked off now, not least because @WB has asked if I’ve done it yet each time I’ve seen him ;)

Visited on this occasion with @Sheard - Decepticon is a storm relief overflow system, discovered by @siologen
The main thing you notice is how loooooong it is. We were down here for hours and didn’t reach the end. I had entered fairly determined to get to the source, but a combination of stoop induced ache (it gets pretty small) and actually wanting to breathe some fresh air made this an incomplete explore. I’m not sure if we even went any further than the other reports I’ve seen, but it’s difficult to tell due to the featurelessness of the long RCP what eventually did us in...

The first section, as others have noted, is a killer of a low-slung 4 ft stoop. Legs bent and back hunched over, my gluteus maximus was not thanking me the day after.

FCD8766E-4DB0-49FC-98A8-962F67A23155.jpeg

6FE29D67-C81F-4602-AA08-EC9B99E4BE94.jpeg

4F4EB1A1-C65C-4D42-BEF5-A1E00ABDBB6B.jpeg

Once this was traversed it was a pleasure to be able to stand up straight for a bit. The wide concrete chamber turns into a tall concrete chamber (the spacecraft corridor section)...

DF56F2B1-1606-4DA4-B057-2C1FFCC26CA7.jpeg

Which then leads into the first chamber....

B5827BB2-F88C-4A61-B7A7-0AB914FE7C80.jpeg

This in turn leads into a lengthy arched section. The raised concrete to the right here conceals a very active sewer pipe, which we will meet more closely in a bit...

B304D19D-25FE-4FC3-B7D6-E19D8490D745.jpeg

A08BD929-0D7E-4684-B4B1-42DDDA510C03.jpeg

Next is my favourite bit - a big, multilevel chamber. Haven’t encountered one this high in Sheffield - at least not one that was fully accessible. ;)
We lingered here for a bit. Someone who has been here before has left some glowing plastic stars stuck on the lower wall - you can see them above the archway.

35FEE345-F7C9-4A27-9A87-72250E83DDDB.jpeg

On the upper level, the brown pipe to the right was really noisy and you could see and smell the full flow of sewage by peeking in the open top...

3DC6193C-6C30-49B6-A325-00E3F6FD59C9.jpeg

BD4AF9EC-13AC-43B1-92AB-9EBB81E48691.jpeg

Back down and onwards for a bit, past the familiar raised right section, leads to the next chamber. This one was really noisy - up the steps reveals another view of the sewerfresh flowing alongside us.

7FD28677-4791-43E7-AC20-208C0C285A00.jpeg

860A8C83-F30C-4C2F-918E-8664B121B0C7.jpeg

A97CC3F8-D6FD-4C9C-8AE3-972F8E3B99CA.jpeg

From here on it’s RCP all the way...

A5B76BD0-E9FA-483E-848E-329DB7592D3D.jpeg

98D49077-CE2B-4B25-B8DC-1BF630FDEA4F.jpeg

6BF7C2AE-C491-4FD7-9625-DD86DEE9C8C8.jpeg

If I’m remembering rightly this starts off pretty big, but after a while it reduces in diameter and becomes an uncomfortable stoop. Every so often there’s another small chamber or another feature to keep you going...

A61E0CAD-F8B2-4F57-8EBB-BD4C37CC81FD.jpeg

B0D628C6-A7A1-4814-AC76-0FFE150092F1.jpeg

These steps curve up to the left, meeting a much smaller length of RCP and a ladder up. Out of all the lids I tried this one felt the most likely to shift but I couldn’t quite budge it...

B97F4CD2-D68F-4E01-8D3E-4F884AFF6601.jpeg

A4B8F2B5-BA09-4304-8AA1-F3EEF51776EE.jpeg

More chambers, some of which seemed to have had their lids dumped down the shaft and replaced. The one in the second pic here looks to have landed with some force, squashing the metal handrail - glad my head wasn’t under it when it fell...

A2527884-C69E-4C2C-BBCA-33A8B423FCB7.jpeg

F4170F78-8C65-49AD-ACE9-89A546B77808.jpeg

By this point we were pretty knackered. No more photos of standard RCP in order to focus on walking, but there was another larger staircase to the right. The RCP at the top soon turned too small to access...

916364A9-FBE1-4355-A9B8-5758E85B4F13.jpeg

Followed, after a bit, with a chamber that was intersected by another brown sewer pipe...

89E0F03D-C05E-4AAF-8184-BCC3474BB8DF.jpeg

Unable to find a suitable, movable lid for easier exit and aware of the lengthy walk (and stoop) back awaiting us we were going to call it a day here. However, noticing a faint sound of rushing water ahead we persisted for what seemed like ages to be met with another staircase leading straight ahead...

4B356C5F-AAD8-49FC-9F2B-23BCD2D3523F.jpeg

This wasn’t as far as we got as we plodded on further but with no end in sight, and no further notable features, we called it a day and took the long walk back the way we came. The walk back was accompanied by the ever growing drainz playlist blasting out of my speaker and, in spite of the distance, it was nice to experience the drain without stopping to take pics.

4E3BD54B-76B6-4556-BCA7-BC17BE1DBC0A.jpeg

And out to daylight and fresh air...

BDAA7847-FCEB-4129-8C59-7049F5BF55AE.jpeg

Where next?

Last edited:

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Glad you got it ticked off, if at least just to stop me asking if you'd done it. :p

You gotta be a determined drainer to do this one, the outfall entrance is awful! :turd:turd:turd

As far as I remember, the lid near the 'wet staircase' is the one near the pub.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Glad you got it ticked off, if at least just to stop me asking if you'd done it. :p

You gotta be a determined drainer to do this one, the outfall entrance is awful! :turd:turd:turd

As far as I remember, the lid near the 'wet staircase' is the one near the pub.

Yeah I thought that was the pub lid! GPS May have helped me identify another one too, but I’m not sure if I’ll go back until all other leads are exhausted elsewhere!

Maybe next time you can ask me about somewhere a little less painful! All good tho!

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Good pics!
For a concrete drain it has a lot of different shapes and sizes which makes it look quite interesting.
If it wasn't for all that backbreaking stooping I would have done this myself, but I can feel a bit of backache coming on just from looking through the photos. :D

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Good pics!
For a concrete drain it has a lot of different shapes and sizes which makes it look quite interesting.
If it wasn't for all that backbreaking stooping I would have done this myself, but I can feel a bit of backache coming on just from looking through the photos. :D

After the initial killer stoop its actually okay for quite a while, but I guess there's plenty more drains to be getting on with before this is your only option! If it wasn't local I'd unlikely put myself through it!

Hmp-Caver

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pretty decent effort there, if you had to guess in terms of miles how long would you say the system is from start to end??...has anyone ever even reached the end?? lol

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Pretty decent effort there, if you had to guess in terms of miles how long would you say the system is from start to end??...has anyone ever even reached the end?? lol

So roughly mapping the route above ground it was close to 2miles where I took the last gps reading. I don’t know where it ends although I have a vague idea it might be getting on for another mile if my assumptions are correct (they might not be, there’s something I need to check out). If anyone has made it all the way to the end I’ve not seen a report anywhere that shows it.

Hmp-Caver

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So roughly mapping the route above ground it was close to 2miles where I took the last gps reading. I don’t know where it ends although I have a vague idea it might be getting on for another mile if my assumptions are correct (they might not be, there’s something I need to check out). If anyone has made it all the way to the end I’ve not seen a report anywhere that shows it.

Well whenever I get up to Sheffield as I live in Manchester perhaps we could try and see where it ends?? plus I've never done any drains before so it'd be good to see haha