real time web analytics
Report - - Eggborough Power Station (Coal) Yorkshire October 2019 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eggborough Power Station (Coal) Yorkshire October 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

xplorer.x

Ignorant Youth
Banned
Eggborough Power Station

I had been wanting to do Eggborough power station ever since it closed. However back then I was still exploring knackered houses every weekend and considered this to be impossible. As nearly a year passed by I had started upping my game and doing much better locations throughout 2019, which eventually led to this.

Eggborough Power Station's full construction took eight years. Beginning in 1962 and ending in 1970. However by 1967 it was suitable to start producing electricity. It was coal fired and like all coal plants, was connected to a railway so that the coal could be brought in by train.

Eggborough had a generating capacity of 1,960 megawatts. Enough to power 2,000,000 homes.
The plant remained producing electricity for many decades. In 2005 a turbine upgrade was installed to increase the stations efficiency. However these upgrades weren't used for long as the plants closure was announced on February 2nd 2018. This finally lead to its closure in late 2018.

Post decommissioning, demolition to the conveyor shaft and surrounding buildings has begun. The site is due to be fully demolished and replaced with a gas-fired station going by the name of Eggborough Gas-Fired Power Station and will supposedly be completed by 2022.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So this was my first power station explore of the month. Cottam Power Station being the second.
Whilst on the topic of Cottam I would like to apologise for the leak on Instagram earlier. I made an agreement that nothing from Cottam should be posted in public view and that it was to be kept quiet. Unfortunately I was ignored but managed to get the post deleted. The last thing I would want is for any non public place to make its way into the eyes of the public and what happened earlier was out of my control. Thankfully it was deleted upon my request as I'm not about posting things all over social media for likes. Its much better to keep it safe here. Hidden from the fame hungry goons out on Instagram/Facebook etc.

The Explore

After spending a night in a service station car park right next to Ferrybridge Power Station. We set off to Eggborough. Not to mention, it was pissing it down. After an entertaining way in we managed to get to see the power station in the distance through the fog. It was quite well lit up.

We finally made it inside and we were drenched through. We found a spot to chill for a few hours and wait for daylight. The cold and wet made it the longest wait ever. Nether the less. Sunrise eventually came and we cracked on.

Beginning in the boiler house, I discovered by looking out of a high up drop door the full scale of the site. Looking up and being surrounded by cooling towers felt unreal. It was almost enough to take my mind off the cold and wet. Thankfully the sun was coming out by this time and I could see steam coming off my arms which was a good sign.

We pushed onto the turbine hall which was the biggest I have seen before. It was hard to take photos because of the sun's position and the window's design but I think they turned out okay.
Pushing onto the control room which appeared locked, but it wasn't long before we found an alternative route in than the main door.
It was the largest control room I had and have ever set foot in and was similar to the neighboring power station, Ferrybridge.

After we had seen all there was to see, we made our way out after spending nearly a full day inside.
Its unfortunate to see that some people got in and put it all over Facebook not long after I went. I still don't know who gave them access details or showed them photos but its a shame they posted it everywhere without a care in the world. Really just goes to show the effort some people will go through to get attention and likes these days.

Nether the less. Here's my take on the place.

Thanks for reading :thumb

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Another good effort mate, and appreciate your attitude towards this lot. Jumping to the top of a ladder and expecting a trophy and a trillion likes is ridiculous, yet it keeps happening!

Keep up the good work fella :thumb

xplorer.x

Ignorant Youth
Banned
Another good effort mate, and appreciate your attitude towards this lot. Jumping to the top of a ladder and expecting a trophy and a trillion likes is ridiculous, yet it keeps happening!

Keep up the good work fella :thumb

Thanks a lot mate. Completely agree with you. :D

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Cracking shots, especially the control room. Its always a shame the goons plaster fb & insta with sites, but we are powerless sadly. Sad as it spoils it for real explorers, who know how to be discreet and what to say and not say. Great write up & attitude. :cool:

xplorer.x

Ignorant Youth
Banned
Cracking shots, especially the control room. Its always a shame the goons plaster fb & insta with sites, but we are powerless sadly. Sad as it spoils it for real explorers, who know how to be discreet and what to say and not say. Great write up & attitude. :cool:

Cheers. It's a shame most are like that these days. I can't understand it.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Damm that is sweet, I really need to get my arse in gear with this place.