real time web analytics
Report - - Eggborough Power Station, North Yorkshire - February 2020 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eggborough Power Station, North Yorkshire - February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:
Eggborough Power Station was a 2-gigawatt coal-fired generating plant in North Yorkshire, built between 1962 and 1970, and first began generating electricity in 1967 just before the completion of the site in 1970.

The station was commissioned and initially operated by the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) and became the property of National Power upon privatisation in 1990. It wasn't until 10 years later that British Energy bought the power station, and ran it as far as 2009 when it fell into the ownership of EDF.
Eggborough faced the threat of closure for a few years, and in 2018 it was announced it would close by September, and by just the 23rd of March that year, all generating at the power station had seised.

The Explore:
After cautiously monitoring the fenceline for the infamous patrol cars, all seemed quiet, and so we began to make our way across, all whilst keeping an eye out for anything that could potentially be a sensor or camera.
Now, having made it to the base of the boiler house, we soon realised they'd gotten wise to the large influx of people trying to access the Power Station, and had since placed large rows of razor wire to block off near to every path leading to the turbine hall. Leaving us with no choice but to chance it by running past one of the many sensors.
Unfortunately, luck wasn't on our side, and our run resulted in us having to wait it out on a roof whilst security tried locating us on ground level...oh well.
After a good hour or more, all seemed quiet, and we began to make our way across to the turbine hall, waiting until daybreak before photographing anything seeing as all electricity had been cut off to the lights.
This was certainly one of the most impressive places I've managed to take a look at, the turbine hall certainly made an impression.
We must've spent near to 12 hours in there before finally calling it a day, and running on zero hours sleep didn't exactly enflame my enthusiasm to keep going.
Massive thanks to @slayaaaa in particular for being our chauffeur :thumb.

~ That's It For Now~

tigger

mog
Regular User
Stunning...all of it.
The photo of the water collector from the cooling towers is an absolute belter
...and anyone who doesn't get slightly aroused by a turbine hall just isn't normal!
I posted a photo of the cooling water intake at FF just before looking at this post...now I think I need to go back and delete that...I'm not worthy :(

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning...all of it.
The photo of the water collector from the cooling towers is an absolute belter
...and anyone who doesn't get slightly aroused by a turbine hall just isn't normal!
I posted a photo of the cooling water intake at FF just before looking at this post...now I think I need to go back and delete that...I'm not worthy :(
Ah cheers man aha! This was only the second turbine Hall I'd visited, took me by surprise lol :p

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Failed so far on this I just hope it’s still their after all this crap has gone away. Great report too.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Love seeing this. It always wows me. The control room and turbine hall just photograph so well, industrial goodness a plenty. And your shot 7 is a cracker :thumb

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Failed so far on this I just hope it’s still their after all this crap has gone away. Great report too.
I'm sure it will mate, although the demolition team seem a bit quick on getting it gone aha. Cheers aye