real time web analytics
Report - - Haile Sand Fort – Grimsby – Pirate Property - August and September 2018 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Haile Sand Fort – Grimsby – Pirate Property - August and September 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report matey :D:D yeah sorry for puking all over camp 1 :D:D:D (this was not alcohol related nor the reason for moving to camp 2 I'll have you all know! That had already been decided before I had my "oh god I'm going to be sick" moment).

Reactions: EOA

Wheaters

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very interesting report. However, I'm intrigued by the first photo showing how high the sea level was. As a teenager, (back in the mid 1970s!) my best pal and I went to Cleethorpes on a motorbike and camped out for a week, directly opposite this sand fort. We decided to try to get onto it. We walked, ran, waded a lot and swam a bit. We got onto the steps (which iirc had mainly been knocked out to prevent idiots like me gaining entry). We climbed up onto the deck but that was as far as we got because we had to leave before the tide turned. What I can't work out is if the sea level in general has risen over the last forty odd years or so, if it was an exceptionally low tide, or if I was a better swimmer than I remember. Either way, we must have been bonkers to do it. The currents as the tide runs out are very powerful because of the massive area of sand that has to drain away into the Humber estuary.

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the kind comments everyone! This all came out of a desire to do something different, that involved some cool shenanigans too. So I'm pleased it's come across well. More plans are being hatched to do more stuff...

Original pirate material :thumb
Mint pics!

Cheers Ojay - original was the plan :)

Absolutey spot on dude. Apologies again for not being able to make it. I’m sure you had a great birthday though in top company.

Great photos too. Seascape wheres the leg dangle gun fingerzzzzzz

There were no gangster hands because you weren't there!

I don't know why I've never been here, living only 10 minutes drive away from it. I think it's probably because I didn't really expect much of the place, and it turns out it's a lot better than I would have thought!

I was pleasantly surprised when we got inside. They've kept it fairly well sealed (and it still is) so the rain and pigeons haven't completely ruined it. There is some pigeon shit in some places though! It's worth getting yourself across. There is plenty to document. I probably haven't done the place justice.

Very interesting report. However, I'm intrigued by the first photo showing how high the sea level was. As a teenager, (back in the mid 1970s!) my best pal and I went to Cleethorpes on a motorbike and camped out for a week, directly opposite this sand fort. We decided to try to get onto it. We walked, ran, waded a lot and swam a bit. We got onto the steps (which iirc had mainly been knocked out to prevent idiots like me gaining entry). We climbed up onto the deck but that was as far as we got because we had to leave before the tide turned. What I can't work out is if the sea level in general has risen over the last forty odd years or so, if it was an exceptionally low tide, or if I was a better swimmer than I remember. Either way, we must have been bonkers to do it. The currents as the tide runs out are very powerful because of the massive area of sand that has to drain away into the Humber estuary.

One of the chaps was speaking to a local when we landed back on shore and they were saying that the sand has shifted since back in the day, which is why it's no longer accessible by foot. Although, I think on a very low tide it may be possible.

musley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These places completely freak me out, no way could I do that, brill pics though, thanks!!!

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Lovely report,
I never expected it to be like that inside. I can't believe 200 soldiers were crammed in there with all their gear.

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Would love to have been there, shame ive been so busy this week! Sounds like you had a good one tho!

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Awesome mate, glad to see all the planing paid off.

Cheers d00d - it’s ashame you both couldn’t have made it but! We need to sort out another adventure.

Would love to have been there, shame ive been so busy this week! Sounds like you had a good one tho!

No worries chief! There will be moar kayaky exploring shenanigans, no doubt...

Who has read this thread (Total: 175) View details