real time web analytics
Report - - High Royds Hospital - April 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - High Royds Hospital - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DubExplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Name's: West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, High Royds Hospital
Opened: October 1888
Closure: February-June 2003

High Royds hospital is a former psychiatric hospital just south of the village Menston in Leeds, It was originally opened on 8th October 1888 as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, By the 1920's became Menston Mental Hospital before eventually gaining the title High Royds Psychiatric Hospital in 1963.
The hospital was mostly self-sufficient and was one of the last Psychiatric Practices to perform pre-frontal lobotomy surgery.
High Royds was then shut down in 2003 as an outdated psychiatric practice in a mean to save on the running costs and all patients spread between three other hospitals around the Leeds area. As of 2011, the site is being redeveloped as a new village, also called High Royds, retaining some features of the hospital such as the ballroom and the clock tower.

Apologies but I am new to DSLR's and am still getting to grips with everything so might not be up to standard compared to a lot of the other reports on here but hope you enjoy anyway.

DSC_0049_zpsx8ok4pal.jpg

DSC_0116_zpsewlkee1g.jpg

DSC_0079_zpsgq5l36sa.jpg

DSC_0089_zpsgfkitpwo.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsju8z9mke.jpg

DSC_0121_zpstlbaho9l.jpg

DSC_0137_zpsdnxobaxc.jpg

DSC_0177_zps9kskb9dc.jpg

DSC_0198_zpsmyereywk.jpg

DSC_0241_zps40bubaec.jpg

DSC_0208_zpsnay6vevy.jpg

DSC_0243_zpsuxnpmz37.jpg

DSC_0250_zpsixzltwoh.jpg

item.jpg

item.jpg

item.jpg

item.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• DSC_0007_zps4v05o1vn.jpg
    DSC_0007_zps4v05o1vn.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 44

DubExplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice shots :thumb
could you not get up into the clock tower ?

We gave it ago but security camera right at the top of the stairs and with a few construction workers hanging about didn't want to take the risk.
Unfortunate though that was my biggest exitement about the place.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
None of your images are showing ? You need to link your pics via the image links.

Also add some History to the report as per all the other High Royds reports on the Forum

DubExplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
None of your images are showing ? You need to link your pics via the image links.

Also add some History to the report as per all the other High Royds reports on the Forum

Sorry about that I think I have got the pictures sorted, confused on why there were there last night but not this morning.
And I will add some history later on today. Cheers Acid.

DubExplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I thought High Royds had already been converted

Only some sections of it have been converted the main building is currently under renovation which is where I was, but they have only started on the back end of it, there are a few rooms which I was disappointed to be locked off, such as the theatre and a few others but on the whole it was a great explore of what is remaining of the original build.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
We gave it ago but security camera right at the top of the stairs and with a few construction workers hanging about didn't want to take the risk.
Unfortunate though that was my biggest exitement about the place.

One thing I've learnt over the years is to juts ignore cameras in most places, and most of the time you'll be absolutely fine :D
Good photos nonetheless mate.

DubExplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers Seffy. I kind of wish I did now as it would have been amazing to get in to the clock tower, maybe next time I will just keep my head down and get past fast.