real time web analytics
Report - - ICI Factory, Surrey- September 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ICI Factory, Surrey- September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mastermind21970

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:

ICI Plant Protection Division is a British company founded in 1926 and developed a wide range of Paints (Crown, Delux etc) and 'Specialty chemicals'. They were a very large FTSE100 company at their peak.
In 2007 the acquisition process of ICI by AkzoNobel began, eventually being bought for the sum of £8 Billion in the August of 2007. The adhesive side of ICI was sold to Henkel to appease the European commission in ensuring they didn't overly dominate the market.
The offices and laboratory in Furnhurst were closed at some point in mid 2008, and were cleared by contractors in August 2008, almost exactly a year after the acquisition process begun.
There have been multiple plans for turning the site into housing over the years, yet 11 years later nothing has happened... the site continues to suffer from natural/ human decay.

The Explore:

We arrived at about 4pm- parked on the roadside up from the local pub. There was an active manned building with 2 security cars outside, but we stayed low and walked past trying to stay hidden in the bushes.
The car park of the factory was over grown which provided excellent cover to creep past the security.
There was one CCTV camera pointing at the road down to the factory, but we stayed out of scope by going through the nature reclaimed car park.
Past some old huts, we found the famous Jaguar.
It’s a 3.2 litre petrol for anyone interested, surprisingly isn’t hasn’t been burnt out & the engine is still in!
Getting in wasn’t exactly difficult, all the doors are open and 95% windows smashed.
On entering there was a maze of Corridors, rooms and stairwells.
We got lost at one point- after 2 hours we didn’t even cover everything... but left as it started to get dark.
One room there was a mattress and few chairs which looked like kids were using it as a chilling spot.
The basement was flooded- other urbexers had made a pathway with crates which led us into a pump room.
We were shocked that for a Saturday afternoon, no security came/ no other groups and no fellow urbexers. Had the entire place to ourselves.

On the roof we found a small hut with a long narrow stairwell. This took us down to the infamous pond in the middle of the site. I don’t think many people have been down there as there was no rubbish / graffiti or anything.
But be warned- there’s no way out from down there, only up the way we came & back across the roof!
Very easy explore, once you’ve done the mission impossible style creep past the security on the entrance.
No one bothered us and there was a box of CDs in one of the offices- 90s style. Busted “ what I go to school for “ original single on CD, Peter Andre etc.
I advise if you’re going to go here, no more than 3 of you & get there 2/3pm to allow a decent few hours before dark. Torches are a MUST - phone torches aren’t enough. Especially for the basement areas. Masks are also essential!
Any questions feel free to DM me. Locations won’t be given unless I see you’re a regular poster / genuine Urbexer

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Some of the rooms have black mould- as does the first bungalow. If you want to breath those spores in you do you, but I’m not
Fair play mate if that’s your view on it , crack on I’ll bear that in mind when I am next at 15%o2 150m underground with rotten timber around me and bad gases that mould is dangerous :thumb Thankyou for taking the time to reply

mastermind21970

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fair play mate if that’s your view on it , crack on I’ll bear that in mind when I am next at 15%o2 150m underground with rotten timber around me and bad gases that mould is dangerous :thumb Thankyou for taking the time to reply
Yes do- I’ve already moaned at someone else on here for exploring black mould places and not wearing masks. It’s so dangerous. You wouldn’t stick your face into asbestos - don’t do it with black mould! ❤️

Down and beyond

Regular User
I am so sorry to burst your bubble on your health worries mate but you best read this

Asbestos : Also any building built before the year 2000 pritty much contains asbestos, don’t no how old you are. But they use to make crayons out of it so if you use to eat them as a old kid you probably ate it , and people use to make napkins etc from it

Down and beyond

Regular User
Hahaha well that’s your prerogative. But I’m going masked up to every explore. When you’re in hospital with a respiratory issue- I will lead the 28DL down & beyond donation fund. I will bring you some chocs & tell you I told you
Mate honestly that mask you are wearing won’t stop nothing I am afraid , asbestos is dangerous and your right to be concerned @Lord Oort has just said you would need a suit also the problem is the small fibres that hold the a i b hook into anything they end up travelling in your clothes right to the washing machine then all your family gets asbestosis also so be warned if you are messing around with it your Covid 19 mask won’t stop it I assure you of that from my training on removal of it stay safe :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 388) View details