real time web analytics
Question - - Maenofferen quarry | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Maenofferen quarry

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Richie56

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As regards to the winding house at the top of the mine entrance when was the building cladded off with metal sheets? Is this to prevent exploration of the mine or due to paying tour's being carried out any information greatly appreciated. I was doing a photography walk about on the 20th May. Many thanks in advance.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Hello Richie.

the winding house is under going preservation work I believe this is to preserve it from the elements also restoration work might be happening ? .

their is no access agreements in place for exploring maenofferen that I am aware of it .

hope this has helped

regards d & b

Richie56

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello Richie.

the winding house is under going preservation work I believe this is to preserve it from the elements also restoration work might be happening ? .

their is no access agreements in place for exploring maenofferen that I am aware of it .

hope this has helped

regards d & b
Many thanks for your fast response to my question it seems very viable about preservation of this piece of equipment.....I thought Llechwedd were offering tours down Maenofferen I saw something about Father's Day special trips over a weekend into the mine this may have been in 2020 though and perhaps covid has caused it to be cancelled. I was just wondering which entrance they would probably use thinking it may have been the entrance with the incline that has been cladded off? Myself I haven't got the equipment to venture into deep mines and definitely wouldn't attempt it. I have seen plenty of videos on YouTube of groups descending into the mine that way.
Many thanks again for your reply.

tigger

mog
Regular User
About three years ago CADW started to do some work to prevent further deterioration in the fabric of the incline drum house. It has remained covered since then. To find out if/when the cladding will be removed you could try contacting CADW (Greaves are unlikely to tell yiou as there is no official public access or footpath near the mill or incline drum house area).
In April 2019 a series of official underground tours visited limited areas of the quarry accessed from the incline.

Whether more official tours will be run is a matter for Greaves but as there is money to be made from it seems quite likely that they'll do a few every now and again rather than sanitise it and make it part of their daily tours.
If they ask for more funding from CADW to stabilise other listed parts then it becomes a requirement to allow some public access (this doesn't mean at all times and doesn't mean in perpetuity...it's just an amount agreed between the parties...eg. 'we'll run some tours on the third saturday in june for the next five years' or similar)

Richie56

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
About three years ago CADW started to do some work to prevent further deterioration in the fabric of the incline drum house. It has remained covered since then. To find out if/when the cladding will be removed you could try contacting CADW (Greaves are unlikely to tell yiou as there is no official public access or footpath near the mill or incline drum house area).
In April 2019 a series of official underground tours visited limited areas of the quarry accessed from the incline.

Whether more official tours will be run is a matter for Greaves but as there is money to be made from it seems quite likely that they'll do a few every now and again rather than sanitise it and make it part of their daily tours.
If they ask for more funding from CADW to stabilise other listed parts then it becomes a requirement to allow some public access (this doesn't mean at all times and doesn't mean in perpetuity...it's just an amount agreed between the parties...eg. 'we'll run some tours on the third saturday in june for the next five years' or similar)
Many thanks Tigger for your comments .

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
They run the odd tour now and then and one was a Father's Day special, bumped into the tour guide and his party a while back, didn't bat a eye lid when we walked around the corner on him but the guests looked quite shocked :thumb