real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - Man dies during Kayak explore in Brisbane storm drain | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News Man dies during Kayak explore in Brisbane storm drain

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Unfortunately the worst happened locally when a man died during a kayak mounted explore of a storm water drain in Brisbane city (AU) yesterday.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...e-brisbane-river/story-fnihsrf2-1227272790434

Whilst the URBEX angle is not heavily harped upon in the story it is in there including mention of a Brisbane URBEX site (which has since had it's forum and photo sections taken off line) and the pair are known for previous explores using kayaks. My condolences to friends and family.

urban_t

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That
Unfortunately the worst happened locally when a man died during a kayak mounted explore of a storm water drain in Brisbane city (AU) yesterday.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...e-brisbane-river/story-fnihsrf2-1227272790434

Whilst the URBEX angle is not heavily harped upon in the story it is in there including mention of a Brisbane URBEX site (which has since had it's forum and photo sections taken off line) and the pair are known for previous explores using kayaks. My condolences to friends and family.

Thats the second time ive seen something on the news about an "urban explorer" dying. The other one was a 14yr old Russian lad, "free climbing" held onto a train power line.

Stupid and unnecessary deaths.

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To be fair this was a freaky storm. It came on a day forecast to be fine and early in the morning (when we rarely get storms) and was huge. It dumped 45mm of rain in a matter of minutes, the didn't stand a chance and I'm surprised it didn't end with two fatalities. I subscribe to SMS storm warnings on my phone but that isn't a great deal of help once you are in. Because our storm drain system is completely separate from the sewer system (unlike the UK) it's generally of smaller capacity and in heavy rain fills up fast. These outfalls take water from acres of the inner city area and when full would not be a good place to be.

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details