real time web analytics
Report - - North Sea Producer (Oil Tanker), Middlesbrough - November 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Sea Producer (Oil Tanker), Middlesbrough - November 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
History

“I think she’s in surprisingly good condition – a real testament to the quality of Teesside engineering” (Paul Brook, Deputy Harbourmaster).

The North Sea Producer, weighing an incredible 99,800 tons, is a weathered Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) Vessel. The original tanker, Dagmer Maersk, was constructed in 1983, and it was designed to work in the harsh conditions of the MacCulloch oil field which lies 250km off the north-east coast of Aberdeen. It was converted into an FPSO vessel between 1995 and 1997 in Bex Quay, Middlesbrough. This involved installing topside facilities and integrating modules to the vessel. The 236 metre long unit was adapted to produce 76,000 barrels of oil on a daily basis, and its storage capacity was modified to hold 560,000 barrels of oil. The vessel recently arrived back in the Middlesbrough dock after having spent 18 years in the North Sea. It also made the news back in September 2014, when a diesel leak into a gas turbine almost caused a catastrophic explosion. The ship only returned to Middlesbrough, though, because production at the MacCulloch oil field has ceased. There are several plans in the pipeline, so to speak; some of these include: selling the vessel, redeploying it, or recycling as much of the unit as possible.

The North Sea Producer was capable of oil, gas and water production, so it features its own flare system at the front of the vessel and a vast amount of on-board equipment. Power for the ship itself was generated by 2x6 and 3.5MW dual fuel turbine units. Oil and gas, from the well, were transferred into the vessel through a swivel stack in the turret. This system enabled the ship to operate under all weather conditions. Once the materials were on board, the facility was capable of exporting partially stabilised crude via pipeline or stabilised crude to cargo tanks for exportation via shuttle tanker. The oil was measured to fiscal standards prior to exportation and the gas was compressed through two three-stage compression trains which were electrically driven, so that it could be exported into the pipeline system, or a gas lift. In the dock, the FPSO is moored by utilising a forward mounted internal turret with a mooring spread of three times three anchors connected to the chain table.

In terms of its other on-board systems and facilities, the vessel provides accommodation for 73 crewmembers. Two lifeboats, capable of holding 73 people, can therefore be found on the main deck of the North Sea Producer. Towards the rear of the unit there is a 22.2 metre helideck, which was certified for Sikorsky S61N to LRS AND CAP 437 requirements, and a heli reception area. Two offshore cranes are positioned on the ship and these were capable of lifting weight not exceeding 15 tons over a 30 metre reach, or 11 tons over a 45 metre reach. Inside, the FPSO also contains: a small medical bay, a cafeteria, a cinema room, a control room, a survey/chart room, observation posts, workshops and locker rooms and washing facilities.

Our Version of Events

While everyone has been scouting and exploring the large steelworks over in Redcar, we’ve had our eye on something a little different, and it’s just down the road. We spent a whole evening scouting this one out a few days earlier and, after formulating a plan to avoid certain tide times, security and to get up the side of the vessel itself without using the dockside crane (which is how we think people board the ship normally), we went back a second time to try and get aboard the North Sea Producer. Access onto the dock was reasonably straightforward, with only a little bit of ducking and diving involved, and, luckily for us, the rain even decided to stop. Getting on board was a different matter; indeed, that was very difficult. But, after finding a rather unconventional way onto the vessel, we managed it. I’ll not give away too much more than that however.

As the photos reveal, the FPSO is absolutely massive, so we spent many hours wandering through its various rooms, sections and intricate parts. Much of the equipment, large and small, remains on board, including computers and control systems. It feels as though the ship could probably head back out to sea tomorrow if it was required for further use. For myself, the helipad and control rooms were my favourite sections, although below decks where the engines were located were pretty spectacular. Due to work commitments the next morning, however, and the added pressure of the tide coming back in, we probably didn’t manage to cover every single area of the ship. But, we did have a fair crack at it.

Throughout the explore security were a constant problem since those positioned on our dock were in a nearby cabin. Occasionally they would patrol around the outside premises, so we had to minimise our use of torch light as much as possible while we were exploring any areas with windows. Things weren’t much better on the other side of the vessel either, since there’s a second hut with another couple of guards. Although they’re located on the other side of the water, they had an optimal view of the entire ship. So, if we lit up particular windows I’m certain they would have been able to see the light. We had a couple of moments where we thought we’d been rumbled as there seemed to be lot of activity (people running around and looking towards the ship, roughly in our direction) from the hut over the river, but, somehow, we managed to do the whole explore, and get off the site, without being detected. Finally, a little bit of a tidal problem, or rather our oversight in relation to how high the water actually reaches, meant our exit was a little problematic. Several minutes later, though, and we were happily on our way back to the cars, ready for a few hours of much needed sleep before work the next day.

Explored with Ford Mayhem, Meek-Kune-Do, Box and Husky.

*Please note, this is a pic-heavy report - I warned you it was big...

1: The North Sea Producer

aDSC_0401_zpsfru9mvof.jpg

2: Looking at The Beast

aDSC_0253_zpsynhfenqq.jpg

3: First Glances Inside: a Small Communal Area

aDSC_0261_zpsjcsylhpa.jpg

4: One of the Main Corridors

aDSC_0262_zpsyvqp4dlp.jpg

5: Inside One of the Bunk Rooms

aDSC_0268_zpsjti5keda.jpg

6: Another Bunk Room

aDSC_0279_zps8bswdlou.jpg

7: Finding Our Way Around

aDSC_0272_zps7wuv6lol.jpg

8: Storage Room

aDSC_0274_zpskj6atgbm.jpg

9: Computer Room

aDSC_0276_zpsi4ddvuq2.jpg

10: The Cinema Room

aDSC_0285_zpscexgxmso.jpg

11: The Cinema Room (From the Front)

aDSC_0286_zps5ymqxoil.jpg

12: Chart/Survey Room

aDSC_0298_zpszk4xrlvz.jpg

13: Approaches to Tees Bay Map

aDSC_0300_zps1o9ndf05.jpg

14: Other Side of the Survey Room

aDSC_0302_zpspk4k0jg5.jpg

15: Staircase Shot

aDSC_0308_zps8zfr6yhh.jpg

16: Helipad/Medical Reception and Waiting Room

aDSC_0312_zpsmcscekkf.jpg

17: The Medical Bay

aDSC_0313_zpst9yjtw9l.jpg

18: The Other Side of the Medical Bay

aDSC_0315_zpsc7a7bqlf.jpg

19: Plenty of Supplies

aDSC_0317_zpsas0atje7.jpg

20: Medical Bay Bathroom

aDSC_0320_zpszdanpss5.jpg

21: Laboratory Refrigerator

aDSC_0322_zpsga4h9nl5.jpg

22: The Control Room/The Bridge

aDSC_0325_zpsdwpbiubs.jpg

23: On Board Entertainment

aDSC_0329_zpshrd28pk1.jpg

24: Entering the Engine Room and Workshops

aDSC_0336_zpswyk0elhp.jpg

25: The Engine

aDSC_0346_zpsh0jft8pc.jpg

26: Heading into the Depths

aDSC_0347_zpscofprhlj.jpg

27: Switches, Dials and Lights

aDSC_0348_zpsstbdl0mu.jpg

28: The Whole Engine Room

aDSC_0350_zpstn2mycqb.jpg

29: Workshop Area

aDSC_0352_zpsyzgyksvm.jpg

30: Heading Further Down into the Vessel

aDSC_0354_zpsq04hplx6.jpg

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
31: Small Walkway (One of Many)

aDSC_0356_zpshxdxaehj.jpg

32: The Propeller Shaft

aDSC_0358_zpsf8caozse.jpg

33: Telephone

aDSC_0359_zpsfszvgoju.jpg

34: Getting Lost

aDSC_0363_zpsuj8fwysw.jpg

35: Emergency Dummy

aDSC_0366_zpshsy20n67.jpg

36: Looking Down at the Engine

aDSC_0372_zpshakmmcwn.jpg

37: Oil Barrels

aDSC_0373_zpsav1acxaj.jpg

38: Beneath the Helipad

aDSC_0376_zpsctrwbuhc.jpg

39: Exceptionally Large Wheels

aDSC_0378_zps37fwlzr9.jpg

40: Looking Out for Secca

aDSC_0379_zpsxtzudpnh.jpg

41: Up on Top of the Vessel

aDSC_0381_zpsodyt2av3.jpg

42: The North Sea Producer (From Above)

aDSC_0383_zpsisbvvs53.jpg

43: The Bridge

aDSC_0385_zpsoheg046x.jpg

44: Electrical Room

aDSC_0386_zpsekva6ttt.jpg

45: Ship's Log

aDSC_0387_zpsdvscvfcd.jpg

46: Inside the Storage Container (Part of it at Least)

aDSC_0388_zpsfsdynsd2.jpg

47: An Oily Staircase

aDSC_0390_zpsxki8tsvk.jpg

48: The Depths of the Storage Container

aDSC_0392_zpssj7nqxlb.jpg

49: Punching Bag on Deck

aDSC_0394_zpsuo5ctc1k.jpg

50: The Helipad

aDSC_0396_zpsyztvuah3.jpg

51: One of the Lifeboats

aDSC_0399_zpsgwsn98tn.jpg

52: Further Down the Vessel

aDSC_0400_zpsczex76gv.jpg

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Really decent explore that mate and i think you have covered it pretty well :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
aDSC_0329_zpshrd28pk1.jpg

That"s certainly a Hardcore explore lads :thumb

This explains why you didn"t want to join us at the Tourist Hotspots down the road ;)

I was advised by my local guide this was a little iffy access wise so well done getting both on and indeed off, & obviously quality output.

Although i don"t think i"d have ventured into the Tanks area without a 4Gas

I was expecting "The Dinghy" to have played a part in this marine assault & feel a little short-changed it didn"t. Hopefully it"ll have a part to play in Australia :D

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wow bridges of ships have changed from my own image of them! It looks more like a factory office!