real time web analytics
Report - - Permanite, Matlock - September 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Permanite, Matlock - September 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

NickMarshall

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi - first post here, so be gentle...

Even though I live around a mile away, this is my first visit here - although I've seen it crop up on a few sites.

There's no real interesting history to note, that I know of, so I've not done any research - just stating what I know. It formed part of the old Cawdor Quarry and was historically owned by Tarmac. They produced bitumen roofing products and such like here - it closed down some time in the last decade, I believe. It's situated in between Matlock and Oker and is beside the river Derwent.

This was a fairly short trip and my first venture into the world of Urbex - I'll admit it's quite a tame effort! I had my vehicle parked down a secluded lane, full of tools and towards the end of this set of pics, I heard a gang of lads approaching. I didn't really fancy hanging around a deserted building on my own, with a load of expensive gear - it's probably a favoured hangout for smackheads too. On that note, I cut my visit short. That said, there's not a huge amount more to see, but I could have got some elevated and more varied shots, given more time.

I know a lot of people don't like HDR and I've steered well away from it in my normal photography of late, but re-visited it for these. I kind of think it suits the theme. Hope they don't offend your eyes and give some interest.

Pics are in chronological order of my wander round

Thanks for looking and CC welcome

Nick

36149122824_e7209a7143_k.jpg
DSC00220_1_2_3_4 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36149119914_4c0f508bb7_k.jpg
DSC00230_1_2_3_4 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36176113093_70317c0fb9_k.jpg
DSC00230_1_2_3_4-2 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36176108803_22f171b7c9_k.jpg
DSC00245_6_7_8_9 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36176103333_b641e9f5fd_k.jpg
DSC00250_1_2_3_4 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36844643601_d2ba5220d4_k.jpg
DSC00260_1_2_3_4 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36844642211_6db0e885a4_k.jpg
DSC00265_6_7_8_9 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36813564332_f2583db9c6_k.jpg
DSC00265_6_7_8_9-2 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36587636830_1ecd12e7d3_k.jpg
DSC00270_1_2_3_4 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36587633270_ff56a64337_k.jpg
DSC00283_4_5_6_7 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36587631800_3c8f62e053_k.jpg
DSC00288_89_90_91_92 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36587628290_ab26be8571_k.jpg
DSC00293_4_5_6_7 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36587622050_b9749b9a01_k.jpg
DSC00293_4_5_6_7-2 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36844614951_3801f32dfe_k.jpg
DSC00298_299_300_301_302 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36844611281_cd5ae3f4cb_k.jpg
DSC00303_4_5_6_7 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36587609270_61a0bdea1a_k.jpg
DSC00308_09_10_11_12 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36844595141_959e4ba0f6_k.jpg
DSC00308_09_10_11_12-2 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36844589171_ea7d14c716_k.jpg
DSC00349_50_51_52_53 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36813527392_a3601f7e16_k.jpg
DSC00354_5_6_7_8 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36149060344_11639c1ef8_k.jpg
DSC00373 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36844577501_72a81de5b2_k.jpg
DSC00385_6_7_8_9 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36813520392_0b5328bf7d_k.jpg
DSC00395_6_7_8_9 by davetheblade, on Flickr

36844564991_1685e30159_k.jpg
DSC00400_1_2_3_4 by davetheblade, on Flickr

NickMarshall

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys - so, 3 days and 136 views, but apart from one 'like', not much interest or any comments. That's fair enough, I'm not going to be mardy about what people see fit to comment on. Just curious for any potential future reports, what folk would like to see different? A different style of photography, more history, a more interesting dialogue?? I'll have to admit, I've not got involved in other peoples reports yet, but will do. Pull this one apart if you like, I'm a big boy :thumb

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
"Medicine" stole the show for me.

I guess it's a little empty. You've certainly documented what there was to see, but in answer to your question, if you'd have clicked on a report with similar content, would you have commented?

Stick at it, you'll no doubt find somewhere a little less stripped and you may get more feedback and general comments. We all have quiet threads mate :)

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Hi guys - so, 3 days and 136 views, but apart from one 'like', not much interest or any comments. That's fair enough, I'm not going to be mardy about what people see fit to comment on. Just curious for any potential future reports, what folk would like to see different? A different style of photography, more history, a more interesting dialogue?? I'll have to admit, I've not got involved in other peoples reports yet, but will do. Pull this one apart if you like, I'm a big boy :thumb
As a non-photographer my first reaction was to admire the quality of the pics, particularly the difference in ambience between BW and colour (I liked the doubling up!). Second reaction was to find out where Matlock is in case we are ever in the area...

NickMarshall

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No need to be gentle...excellent set of pics. Only advice...don't double pics up...choose B+W or colour.

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind, although as primarily a photographer, rather than explorer, I like to show all my interpretations of a scene. Apologies if that makes it a bit tedious ;)

"Medicine" stole the show for me.

I guess it's a little empty. You've certainly documented what there was to see, but in answer to your question, if you'd have clicked on a report with similar content, would you have commented?

Stick at it, you'll no doubt find somewhere a little less stripped and you may get more feedback and general comments. We all have quiet threads mate :)

Thanks for your reply - points noted!

As a non-photographer my first reaction was to admire the quality of the pics, particularly the difference in ambience between BW and colour (I liked the doubling up!). Second reaction was to find out where Matlock is in case we are ever in the area...

Thanks - I suppose I've approached this forum more for the photography aspect, rather than the buildings themselves, but certainly enjoyed my look round. It's piqued my interest to go elsewhere - maybe not on my own though!

Salad_Dodger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think I can add a little history around this site as I used to work just down the road from it in the late 80's

The plant made asphalt flooring blocks - these were mainly used to waterproof the floors of new buildings. For those of you old enough to remember old building sites, there used to be a huge tar boiler with the stirrer powered by a Lister donkey engine going 'put put put' all day while the asphalt blocks where heated to melting point and poured as a liquid onto the floor raft of the new buildings.This prevented ground level moisture seeping upwards.
Most of the residential properties built close to this site up until the late 80's used this method.
Also most of the original car park for the Westfield Centre in Derby was sealed and surfaced using materials from this plant.

Anyhoo - sorry to digress......

The plant took powdered limestone, from several of the local quarries and mixed it with hot bitumen emulsion that was brought down from the refineries of Ellesmere port - this being a by product of the fuel oil refining process.

Mixed the tar / limestone solution was poured into metal moulds on the floor of the big shed and allowed to solidify, then the back breaking process of manually separating and stacking the cooled blocks could begin.
I cant remember how many blocks were produced on each shift, but always remember the men that split and stacked these blocks worked incredibly hard.

During the late 80's part of the process was mechanised, from memory Permanite spent alot of money on a shiney new plant that would replace the labourers, but it kept breaking down.
Eventually the whole operation was sold to a firm called Ruberoid.

Hope this sheds some light onto what went on there......

With the impending building of 400 + homes on the old quarry site most of the other buildings have been flattened - although if anyone has photo's of these, I'm happy to have a look at them and add information if it helps maintain a record of what went in there....

NickMarshall

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think I can add a little history around this site as I used to work just down the road from it in the late 80's

The plant made asphalt flooring blocks - these were mainly used to waterproof the floors of new buildings. For those of you old enough to remember old building sites, there used to be a huge tar boiler with the stirrer powered by a Lister donkey engine going 'put put put' all day while the asphalt blocks where heated to melting point and poured as a liquid onto the floor raft of the new buildings.This prevented ground level moisture seeping upwards.
Most of the residential properties built close to this site up until the late 80's used this method.
Also most of the original car park for the Westfield Centre in Derby was sealed and surfaced using materials from this plant.

Anyhoo - sorry to digress......

The plant took powdered limestone, from several of the local quarries and mixed it with hot bitumen emulsion that was brought down from the refineries of Ellesmere port - this being a by product of the fuel oil refining process.

Mixed the tar / limestone solution was poured into metal moulds on the floor of the big shed and allowed to solidify, then the back breaking process of manually separating and stacking the cooled blocks could begin.
I cant remember how many blocks were produced on each shift, but always remember the men that split and stacked these blocks worked incredibly hard.

During the late 80's part of the process was mechanised, from memory Permanite spent alot of money on a shiney new plant that would replace the labourers, but it kept breaking down.
Eventually the whole operation was sold to a firm called Ruberoid.

Hope this sheds some light onto what went on there......

With the impending building of 400 + homes on the old quarry site most of the other buildings have been flattened - although if anyone has photo's of these, I'm happy to have a look at them and add information if it helps maintain a record of what went in there....

Thanks for your input :thumb

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
I agree with the 'don't double post photos' reply, but I hear what you are saying about that you approached the forum more for the photography aspect.. its good to mess about with photos and its fun! But people like to see what you've seen and see the place "as is" :-)
For me, this site has always been exploration first, photography second (but then, I'm biased as my pics are usually crap as I'm more about the explore and have never been a photographer, I just see it as documenting the explore... half the time I'm too busy wandering about and forget to get the camera out!).
I liked your photos though, it looks like a rather empty site with not much there, but you seem to have captured what you could from the place.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I am going to have to ask,what processing have you applied to the shots.and to be honest we prefer more natural shots ,this kind of processing is going to get comments..the type you probably dont want

Kidney

Weirdy Beardy
28DL Full Member
They are nice photos. My only CC is next time use a camera lens instead of a kaleidoscope

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Way to much fiddling in post for my liking, you had some nice shots before you over egged them.