real time web analytics
Report - - Pool Parc Hospital - North Wales - Jan 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pool Parc Hospital - North Wales - Jan 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dunk

28DL Member
28DL Member
Pool Parc Hospital - North Wales - Jan 2012

Hey all, I've been a lurker on these forums for several years now, not posting really, but admiring the photography, and fantastic abandoned places the UK, and the rest of the world, have to offer. It was in fact this website, and a few others, that initially got me into photography (cheers all).

My girlfriend (Curcabeata) is studying photography at college, and it turns out that one of her projects is on the subject of abandoned buildings and recession, that sort of thing, so what better opportunity to actually get off my backside and go explore somewhere.

We chose Pool Parc simply because I saw a report very recently that made the place look fantastic, and with it being recent, assumed that it would be reasonably easy to access. It is also in the middle of bloody nowhere, so I figured there'd be less chance of getting caught :)

You all probably know the history of this place, but I'll put a small snippet up anyway

History

The current main building was built in the late 1820's and owned by Sir Walter Baggot, at some point between then and 1937, they Lyle family of Tate and Lyle sugar moved in. In 1937 the site was acquired by North Wales Mental Hospital and was used as an overflow for the main hospital due to overcrowding. It was closed around 1990, where it has laid empty since, sadly slowing decaying.

At the end of the explore, while I was in one of the boiler rooms, we heard some voices speaking Welsh. I decided that it would probably be a rather good time to leave, and be fairly obvious about it, so to not raise too much suspicion (it made sense in my head). It turns out the two welsh fellas were locals from the farm. Apparently the guy that now owns it has been trying to request planning for around 60 homes on and around the site, with the premise of restoring the main building to its former glory, while incorporating 32! YES THIRTY TWO! Flats. However he said that everyone in the area is objecting to it, because they know full well that the main building will be ignored and left to decay, whilst the other homes are built, and that there would be very little chance that the main building would even get a look in. He did also say that a farm just down the road, whose owner has been there all his life and knows a hell of a lot of history about the place may be open to chats about it. So I may in the future look him up.

Anyway, enough of my babble, which has turned out to be quite a lot more than expected, and onto the pictures. Apologies for the quality, I was intelligent enough to bring my tripod, however left the bloody shoe on my video camera at home. Live and learn eh.

I took over 250 pictures throughout the day, however have selected 71 that I am happy with, I am kinda guessing that you don’t want all 71 in this thread, so I’ve selected a few, if you want me to add more, let me know

Hope you enjoy

Dunk

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4444.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG_4485.jpg

IMG_4488.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

IMG_4502.jpg

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4582.jpg

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah I agree Dangle! Love this building, for some reason I think I prefer it to Denbigh.. its location and size just gives it character I think :)