real time web analytics
Question - Anyone ever been taken to court over Civil trespass? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Anyone ever been taken to court over Civil trespass?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tobytron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am mostly unworried about being prosecuted for any explores i do as long as i don't "break or take"anything. This is echoed by almost every urbex resource i could find but my family, particularly my dad is concerned about possible legal ramifications. Anyone have any stories about police encounters at sites and what (if anything) followed them?

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I only know two people who went to court. Both got away with it but had quite a traumatic time over it. One of them I know well a local guy was caught at a local hall. The very rich owner wanted the book thrown at him. The other one was Mooch at bull manor who had his SD cards confiscated and think his camera gear. Think he even had his car compounded. The owner who is well known called the police and he had quite a few turn up.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There were a few people who got into hot water regarding Fiddlers Ferry power station a few months back. All their personal info was easily available online ( I had a good ol read through it all) but there was a high court injunction active on the site though, hence it went to court. Not sure what the final result was though...

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
There were a few people who got into hot water regarding Fiddlers Ferry power station a few months back. All their personal info was easily available online ( I had a good ol read through it all) but there was a high court injunction active on the site though, hence it went to court. Not sure what the final result was though...

Firing squad supposedly

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
In reality you have very little to worry about if you're just doing run of the mill stuff. In the over fourteen years I've been doing this now I've only ever come close to being arrested once in this country, so it's not to say the risk isn't there because it is no matter how remote, but it's minimal.

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
power stations are considered criminal trespass i think?
If any site is a criminal offence to trespass on, it needs to be clearly signposted that trespassing is a criminal offence, because in the case of SOCPA it is a valid defence to say you didn't know you were trespassing, for example the lack of signposts or a clear boundary fence.

That means there is a sign with either the risk of a fine (as in the railways, which can be anything from £50 to £1000) or that it is a criminal offence under a given act. These acts include: explosives act, SOCPA, aviation act. However any site that is covered by these laws, especially SOCPA should be kept away from under all circumstances.

The_Raw

Staff member
power stations are considered criminal trespass i think?
Only nuclear power stations, or any with a high court injunction such as Fiddlers Ferry. The same applies to any site with a high court injunction. The whole of canary Wharf is covered by an injunction, also the Shard, and several construction sites acoss London, mostly Multiplex ones. You can be charged with being in contempt of court for breaching the injunction if caught on any of those, which can be quite serious. The guy who climbed the Shard got 6 months inside

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
There aren't too many examples. Theoretically you can be charged but the cost to do so often means people will not bother to do so.

Certain places are protected under thier own respective laws for somewhat obvious reasons which can make trespass a chargeable offence under these acts (Nuclear sites, national railway systems and airports for example).

There are court injunctions which have been applied for in the past, as mentioned above. These are also costly and are often seen on places that haved attracted certain crowds. (Such as The Shard or certain power stations).

Most members will probably have some stories about police encounters and close calls on here. Often they're called to usher you away and assist in keeping the peace or they have been called with something else in mind such as a suspected burglary. Generally, once they realise what is going on, they'll tell you to get lost and go on about thier day.

Edit*
In short:
- Don't go anywhere stupid or that you're concerned about.
- Don't do anything stupid or obviously illegal or take anything that could obviously be used in such a way.
- Try not to get caught.
- If you get caught be calm, polite, honest and take the hit of mild embarrassment.

Last edited:

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
The best way to deal with your predicament is not to tell your family you're going exploring then they won't be worried.
A few times a year you can bring up that you've been to a few places and show them some pics if they are interested otherwise it's not worth the hassle.

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Apart from fiddlers ferry, and that mill in wigan I can't think of any measures been taken, it does happen but for your bog standard place nothing will happen, you'd here and know about any exceptions, none of this stops the police if accusing you of bollocks if you get the wrong cop, two years ago had some lass tell me trespass was a criminal offence if you climbed a fence, unsurprisingly when I challenged this we where just let go.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Apart from fiddlers ferry, and that mill in wigan I can't think of any measures been taken, it does happen but for your bog standard place nothing will happen, you'd here and know about any exceptions, none of this stops the police if accusing you of bollocks if you get the wrong cop, two years ago had some lass tell me trespass was a criminal offence if you climbed a fence, unsurprisingly when I challenged this we where just let go.

St. Joseph's Seminary has an injunction on it now too.

Who has read this thread (Total: 295) View details