real time web analytics
Report - - Reigate Sand Mine - January 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Reigate Sand Mine - January 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tucker

Scallywag
28DL Full Member
There is nothing i love more than a midweek foray into the underground, and when Urban Junkie, Coleman and Myself made the journey to Reigate on a cold and clear night, we were in for a real treat. It gets that little bit better when the location is in the most unsuspecting of places. In this case, a college in a leafy Surrey town. Add to that the three grown men, lugging rucksacks that would warrant a week in the wild, trying to slip in undetected with the odd folk on the commute home, it gets even better.

12106476496_69bb4c8494_c.jpg

After snaking through some undergrowth, casting shadows from the throng of light from the buildings, we located our access point, and more convieniently, the nearby tree that would provide a useful anchor point. Unnervingly, this all occurs at the top of a gentle slope in the grounds, meaning you can see more clearly into the first floor than the ground floor, and thus maybe visible to anyone who might be passing by. Luckily for us, any untrained eyes wouldnt be looking out for the type of activity we were partaking in.

12106464826_01beea4046_c.jpg

Anchor secured, harnesses on and karabiners clipped, one by one we descended along with our bags. Looking back up through the darkness to the square of night sky 20ft above, you get the feeling that you're where you set about to be, and that is half the job. And a good feeling it is too.

For those that are not aware, Reigate, Merstham, Godstone and the surrounding areas are probably home to the largest collection of underground mines and quarries in the South-East, before you have to venture down the M4 or M1 for similar subterranean goodness. Access to the vast majority of these is regulated by the local caving club. But as we have discovered in the past, and on this occasion, some are 'freely' accessible to those that are willing.

12106097923_2517cd7bc6_c.jpg

This particular quarry was more akin to something you would find on the continent, more specifically Paris. And just like Puiselet , the walls in here crumble away at the pinch of the fingers. And lit by the warm glow of carbide and halogen, it made the visit all the more nostalgic.

12106470056_e47a948ede_c.jpg

Comprising a few small main passageways with numerous dead-ends off each, the sand was seemingly quarried over two levels linked by an awesome egg shaped decline. On further discovery, it seems the two levels merge together in a few places. Coupled with the vaulted pillars and arches, the plethora of carvings inscribed into the walls, it is so difficult to picture yourself in leafy Reigate, under a college campus. The siting of underground workings fused with a municipal setting is not something we get too much of the UK, which makes it all the more fun.

12106195954_de2b74c69c_c.jpg
12105814935_11214f5ed3_c.jpg

Moving deeper into the quarry through the main haulageway the chambers start to open out a little , still with numerous offshoots along the way. It was nice to stop in here and enjoy the calming atmosphere these places bring, albeit with the rumble of road traffic overhead.

12106565896_e324fd9d52_c.jpg

12106478676_b8395f455b_c.jpg

The layout feels like a real labyrinth and although it may not be the biggest of places, this doesn't detract from the experience at all. Before long it was time to extinguish the spent carbide, pack the bags, turn the lights out and ascend back to reality, like it had never happened. And this was the time the only scare of the night would come. Somebody walking past the buildings in our field of view, follwed by a car forcing us to lay flat out on the grass, all the while hurriedly lifting the bags out followed by Coleman. Crisis averted, all out safely and with the lid replaced, we scurried back into the undergrowth. Time to pack away the ropes and harnesses and disappear. And the best bit? Walking down the road feeling victorious, as a speeding police van hurries off to some such unfolding incident. If only they knew...

12106187144_3aba4f76d6_c.jpg

A massive thank you to Bauhausgirl and to Soylent Green for their invaluable knowledge, and for putting this place on the map. We owe you folks! :thumb

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
These photos bring back some vague memories I have of being on a private permission visit to one of these mines with a friend of mine well over a decade ago, I think I have photos of it somewhere but god knows where.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Revives a 9yr old thread just to ask for access,the laziness these days is unreal

Labrynth hunter

Banned
Banned
Hey I'd be more than happy to go look for it I just was lookin for a bit more info on it tbo no problem man what's with everyone's attitudes ere lol if u dont ask u don't get?!? 🤷‍♂️ N I wernt sure if I need proper ab sailing gear or anythin as it looked like anyone that's been in ere, did so by ab sailing?? 🤷‍♂️ Is that the case or can I get in without rope n ab sailing?? Been n found a secret underground Mithraic Temple recently in chiddingstone that hardly anyone has any vids or piks or info on, only one other than me, il put some piks up soon or u can watch my YouTube vid if I can load it on ere?? just type it in my one is Indiana Joe 🤠 with the hat lol... to show u I'm not lazy at all I just like to do my homework properly before I go out n waste a day walkin around not finding the place that I set out too.. thanks for your time even if everyone did just put a load of attitude my way lol.. il still float around today with a smile on me face nna spliff in me gob .. 🤷‍♂️🤠👌💯💚🙏✨

Labrynth hunter

Banned
Banned
These photos bring back some vague memories I have of being on a private permission visit to one of these mines with a friend of mine well over a decade ago, I think I have photos of it somewhere but god knows where.
Thank u mate for bein the only one person with a nice helpful reply back at least there is still some nice people left in the world.. hopefully u find em n I can see your experience there that wud be awesome! N any info u could give me wud be great too! Thanks alot mookster! Have a pucka day mate! 🤠👌💯💚🙏✨🦁

Labrynth hunter

Banned
Banned
Edit: Deleted coz I got told off like a naughty school child or prisoner in this prison I mean exploring forum, for posting in wrong thread n breaking one of many prison I mean forum rules..

Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
As u can see ere there's only one other vid on it other than my 2 as I realised the first one weren't in full screen mode lol.. doh.. 🙈🤣 it has what the other guy n me refer to as a star carved into the ceiling yet I looked back and it looked more like a outline of a bird with spread wings to me lookin back at my footage.. n only has 4 points which a star has at least 5 or 6.. some say it's a 700yr old Templar cave, some say it's a 2000yr old druid cave.. it's a kool place no matter what the history actually is, which there seems to be next to none of on this place.. thanks for yr time..

View attachment 1042483

View attachment 1042484

View attachment 1042485

View attachment 1042487

View attachment 1042488
why are yuo tagging these onto someone elses report of a totally different location and with pics that look like you took them on a potato

Labrynth hunter

Banned
Banned
why are yuo tagging these onto someone elses report of a totally different location and with pics that look like you took them on a potato
To prove to u lot that I'm not lazy or dumb like everyone insinuated u know what I'm not even gonna bother to talk to peeps anymore on ere il just use the place for ideas for spots.. I forgot how unsociable peeps had become nowdays thanks to all that lockdown crap gettin peeps used to bein unsociable moody gits..

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
To prove to u lot that I'm not lazy or dumb like everyone insinuated u know what I'm not even gonna bother to talk to peeps anymore on ere il just use the place for ideas for spots.. I forgot how unsociable peeps had become nowdays thanks to all that lockdown crap gettin peeps used to bein unsociable moody gits..
post them in general photos thread and not a 9 year old thread where you basically asked to be taken somewhere, got replies you didnt like..

and no, we are always like this to people who literally just ask to be taken somewhere, or ask for access.. or locations.

Labrynth hunter

Banned
Banned
U rarely find a nice reply on this site unless it's one of u that's already In Yr little clicky circles then yr right up eachothers asses brown noseing eachother, yet a new guy comes n wants to explore n be part of this community n every time u lot just give em aload of shit.. sod ya clicky circles n yea I will find it myself I can get attitudey too trust me... N I'm pretty handy at finding places so don't worry about welcoming me into yr clicky community..

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
U rarely find a nice reply on this site unless it's one of u that's already In Yr little clicky circles then yr right up eachothers asses brown noseing eachother, yet a new guy comes n wants to explore n be part of this community n every time u lot just give em aload of shit.. sod ya clicky circles n yea I will find it myself I can get attitudey too trust me... N I'm pretty handy at finding places so don't worry about welcoming me into yr clicky community..
you have broken the golden rule, you dont ask to be taken somewhere, and yo dont tag a load of photos to someone elses report that has fuck all to do with this location, wind your neck in and look around the forum , you will see how it works and has done for the last 13 odd years ive been here

Labrynth hunter

Banned
Banned
Cudnt care less about yr poxy forum anymore or how long u been a moody member for.. there's plenty of others online il find one where the peeps are actually nice, n like to COMMUNICATE....

Labrynth hunter

Banned
Banned
All I ever see is peeps gettin shitty on this site, it's like u all must be grumpy old men with small Willy's that have had a depressing life or somthin shit man why u all gotta take it out on every new comer that wants to come and explore that's also got a passion for all this like u.. I thought this place was for sharing the passion of exploring n exchanging locations so we all can go see n do what we love?!? There's more rules m moody gits on this site than in a prison FFS?!? 🤷‍♂️🤔🤨🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣