real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Marines Deep Refuge, Chatham, Kent - March 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Marines Deep Refuge, Chatham, Kent - March 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jorwal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As you may have seen, I've been trying to find this place for about a month or so now, and earlier this month I met up with another member of the forum (B3n). (Please note that the days are not accurate, they are only there as to give you an idea of the timescale)

IMG_0451.jpg

On the Monday, B3n & I arranged to meet in the general proximity of the entrance to try and locate it for when we do go down. After 20 minutes or so we found it, and after peering in we decided to come back on the Wednesday night. Probably the most sketchy thing I've ever done was entering these tunnels, speed was definitely of the essence.

IMG_0467.jpg

Fast forward 2 days and it's exploration night; first thoughts were 'Jesus, these stairs are f*cked & I'm probably going to die', but taking it slow & easy meant it all was good and we descended unscathed.

IMG_0457.jpg

The place is in amazing condition; old oil lanterns, ammo crates and alarm systems are still down there & in tact, and no graffiti or vandalism (except from things that were scratched in the walls from when the tunnels were in use which was pretty cool).

IMG_0486.jpg

The tunnel system is on 2 levels, but on this occasion we only done the lower floor (separate report for the upper level to follow), but it still took us a good hour or so to do it. Climbing through the hole below takes you to a set of stairs that leads to the upper level.

IMG_0456.jpg

This location is probably the cleanest (in terms of condition) I've seen, and if this gets discovered more broadly and destroyed I'll be pretty pissed off to say the least, and if you're reading this planning on going down there and trashing it, do everyone a favor and make sure you smash some asbestos up and take a good few deep breaths in.

Anyway, below are a few of the shots I took:

The old lanterns are still there (surprising for Medway)
IMG_0481.jpg

What looks like a dirty newspaper dated 28/10/1971 ;)
IMG_0490.jpg

When the main tunnel forks into two
IMG_0495.jpg

Women's toilets
IMG_0454.jpg

What looks like an ammo box
IMG_0460.jpg

The old alarm/bell system
IMG_0512.jpg

I think this was an old water cooler, correct me if I'm wrong
IMG_0513.jpg

After years of damp the wooden structure in this part has rotted and collapsed on itself
IMG_0465.jpg

Just after one of the tunnels turn
IMG_0463.jpg

Here you can see the metal supports are starting to corrode, but still retain their original yellow/gold paint. The air shafts not so much and are in pretty good shape throughout the entire tunnel.
IMG_0503.jpg

What was probably an old telecoms system (again, correct me if I'm wrong)
IMG_0504.jpg

And finally, the view at the end of a decaying section
IMG_0502.jpg

Not sure when part 2 is coming, but soon ;)

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Well you got down there in one piece,and to be honest the stairs you went down are pretty good condition..have fun with the stairs up to the next two levels

Jorwal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well you got down there in one piece,and to be honest the stairs you went down are pretty good condition..have fun with the stairs up to the next two levels
Yeah that's why the upper set were left for next time :)

Daniel_laraman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How easy is this place to access I may consider going In a few weeks I would have to catch the train i was considering cycling but its 30 miles so probably better to catch the train?

Manhole-welder

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
it Sealed shut and the staircases have been removed I’m not sure if they will put temporary ones back in or leave it as rope access only,
Either way suits me as my company stand to make a lot of money from this place !! Good times

19josh91

28DL Member
28DL Member
This place is incredible ! Haven’t seen any recent posts on this so I’m guessing it’s sealed tight

Who has read this thread (Total: 138) View details