real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - Staffslive regarding potteries | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News Staffslive regarding potteries

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
“While the explorers might have the idea that they are not doing any harm, what they are actually doing is weakening the security of the building and creating an impression that it is okay to go into buildings.

“That ends up with copper and metal work being ripped out of them by thieves and in some cases the building being burnt down."

Bloody hell, that's a rather bold statement to make isn't it...is it not the other way around, where we often wait for the buildings security to be weakened by the metal wombles before we go in

Hidden

28DL Full Member
Perhaps if the owner's of these buildings made a concious effort the secure these buildings, then there wouldn't be an issue with theft and vandalism in these sites. Tam's was wide open for anyone to walk in when we went and I can think of 3 ways in off the top of my head, if they're arsed, then get the sheeting up that it needs...

Humpa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was the one that luke interviewed, just thought id let u know :) im matt btw not the council guy :)

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Perhaps if the owner's of these buildings made a concious effort the secure these buildings, then there wouldn't be an issue with theft and vandalism in these sites. Tam's was wide open for anyone to walk in when we went and I can think of 3 ways in off the top of my head, if they're arsed, then get the sheeting up that it needs...

The door was wide open onto the street when i went several months back, it was late in the afternoon too, so had obviously been open for some time.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Within the tight-knit-community, Stoke-on-Trent is heralded as a favourite location following the closure of many of its potteries.

Really I wasn't aware Stoke was anyones favourite

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Maybe the coverage of John Tams will enable someone to fix that water main which is RUINING the place faster than anything else, as well as wasting a huge amount of water.

You listening, council?

Hidden

28DL Full Member
Although when you consider places like Chatterley whitfield, stoke actually is pretty good.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Although when you consider places like Chatterley whitfield, stoke actually is pretty good.

What, your taking the piss. Good for an explore but it's uber-listed and waiting for a pipe-dream to happen. We're about the only people who have seen in there in a decade.

Stoke's a dump, and it's no surprise with plebs like that MP running the show. I'd hazard a guess it's because we're showing the true state of the place.

And by the way, I'm from Stoke myself. 'Potteries' my arse.

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Maybe the coverage of John Tams will enable someone to fix that water main which is RUINING the place faster than anything else, as well as wasting a huge amount of water.
You listening, council?

If I explore somewhere with a huge leak I report it to UU. Have done so twice and the one that I checked was fixed.

The MP quoted in the article didn't know what he was talking about, though he was probably rushed for a quote by the journalist. Stoke potteries have been empty for years and the only way we explorers got in was because the copper thieves got there first.

For us, the good thing about Stoke is its loss of industry and lack of development, but for the locals that's not so good and I'm sure they want and need improvement. Visiting Stoke is like going back 20 years. Hopefully (finally) highlighting the dereliction will bring about some changes.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Stoke's a dump, and it's no surprise with plebs like that MP running the show. I'd hazard a guess it's because we're showing the true state of the place.

And by the way, I'm from Stoke myself. 'Potteries' my arse.

I have to agree. Before my trip up there with Flubs I'd known it wasn't a 'great' place but seriously nothing prepared me to see how much of sad state the place is in. We were driving up and down and around Stoke all day on the second day of the trip and couldn't believe the state of some of it, how much of it was either deserted, or shut, or had metal sheets over all windows/doors...

It's like every other town/city in that area of Britain got the fancy new industries, new housing developments and a new influx of money and Stoke just hasn't. It seems when almost all the Potteries left, nothing has filled that massive void.

People may talk about how Stoke nowadays has this great pottery heritage, how it was the centre for Pottery manufacturing in Britain and all that, but they don't see what it is really like. As a visitor to the city (a veritable tourist if you will) I was appalled at how it's treated it's heritage.

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
I have to agree with Alley, going to stoke is like going back in time. Liverpool looks good in comparison.

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
Rob Flello, Labour MP for Stoke-on-Trent South, has criticised the actions of the groups who view Stoke-on-Trent as a popular destination for the hobby

Really?! I've been to Stoke twice and never want to repeat the visit. Refer to my previous post

Status
Not open for further replies.