real time web analytics
Standard Fireworks, Huddersfield - June 2023 | Noteworthy Reports | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Standard Fireworks, Huddersfield - June 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Standard Fireworks, Crosland Hill, Huddersfield - June 2023.

Visited solo.

Really good fun, this. Such a large, overgrown site with some extensive bramble and nettle manoeuvres to avoid the large dome cameras on sticks, but totally trouble-free on the two occasions I plotted around the site, no sign of security - although there were areas I thought a little too blatant to spend ages in front of cameras. Following on from pt2013’s report, I decided to myself there was more than enough of interest to go have a poke around. Having been sold to the Chinese in the late 90s, it’s understandable that there wasn’t going to be loads and loads of ‘stuff’ left, nevertheless, something a bit different - there’s certainly some more areas to go at here, I had a quick look at the Admin building, but it didn’t seem worth the effort / blatant camera exposure from peering through some uPVC windows.

Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 18.46.22.png

History

Standard Fireworks was established in 1891 as was the brainchild of Yorkshire draper James Greenhalgh. The company moved to the Crosland Hill site in Huddersfield in 1910 where it eventually covered over 100 acres. The head offices being at Standard House in Half Moon Street in Huddersfield.

1916.png

During the First World War, production switched to munitions and became an essential part of the war effort. During the Second World War, production once again switched to munitions and became an essential part of the war effort.

The post-war years brought further expansion and the company was floated on the Stock Market in 1959. By 1988, Standard Fireworks had bought tScottish-based Brock’s Fireworks where all firework production was transferred to Yorkshire.

1947 / 1967

1947.png

1969.png

1998 saw the purchase of Standard Fireworks by the Chinese based Black Cat Fireworks. As the largest manufacturer of fireworks in the world, Black Cat switched firework manufacture to China. After this move, the Huddersfield site became the UK headquarters for Black Cat and acted as the Sales, Marketing and Distribution centre for both Black Cat and Standard product ranges.

Pictomographs
AseqS1.jpg

Aseqs2.jpg

aseqs21.jpg

BseqPhoto03_34A.jpg

BseqPhoto01_36A.jpg

bseqPhoto15_11A.jpg

bseqPhoto19_18A.jpg

DseqPhoto09_5A.jpg

DseqPhoto10_6A.jpg

eseq_Photo.jpg

EseqPhoto15_22A.jpg

EseqPhoto19_15A.jpg

eseqt_21Photo22_15A.jpg

GseqPhoto05_26A.jpg

GseqPhoto06_31A.jpg

GseqPhoto07_30A.jpg

HseqPhoto07_3A.jpg

HseqPhoto08_4A.jpg

IseqPhoto16_12A.jpg

IseqPhoto18_14A.jpg

IseqPhoto18_19A.jpg

IseqPhoto20_16A.jpg

IseqPhoto25_12A.jpg

continued...​

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah me and @albino-jay had a poke about here the other week, security parked up near office gate now and regular walking about the site.

It's one of those companies that makes a site like this worthy of a look. Decent pics as well, I can only contribute iphone specials

clown.jpg

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Lovely photo’s. Really enjoyed it here, quite a chilled out mooch. Anyone tried any of the fireworks yet?

Like Ojay says though it has active security on site now. Plenty of bramble/nettle rash to be had. I’ll learn my lesson one day and wear trousers rather than shorts.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Lovely photo’s. Really enjoyed it here, quite a chilled out mooch. Anyone tried any of the fireworks yet?

Like Ojay says though it has active security on site now. Plenty of bramble/nettle rash to be had. I’ll learn my lesson one day and wear trousers rather than shorts.

I should probably clarify that I wasn't trying to indicate there wasn't security here. More that a few runs in front of the cameras and a couple of hours on site, on two occasions... and I wasn't personally privy to any activity.

Who has read this thread (Total: 405) View details