real time web analytics
Report - - Yarn Spinner - Meltham - January 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Yarn Spinner - Meltham - January 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Yarn Spinner - Meltham

20_zpsmhucf8qa.jpg

This was the second culvert of the day after Child Snatcher further up the valley. It turned out to be a topsy turvy explore in the end. I had a good idea where the upper end was, but had failed earlier in the week to find the outfall. The culvert runs under a large industrial complex with quite a few different companies on it, the name comes from one which is a spinning company as I don't think this has been done before?

As I found the top that is where I started, after about 100m and inside the industrial site there was a nice weir, this ended up in a deep pool! I retreated and went looking for the downstream end. A fun wander through woods and with the cover of doing a water vole survey I managed to get to the downstream entrance. The report and photos start here.

The culvert is fantastic, many different construction techniques having been used over the years, old pipes and supports and even a bit of asbestos. Another substantial sized culvert and well over 400m long.

Inside you soon see the industrial connections to this culvert.

21_zpsjq33m22k.jpg

Hopefully the pipe's no longer in use, many fixings are well rotten.

22_zps2w5kisze.jpg

The whole culvert is criss crossed with old cast iron sections of pipe. Some sections lie in the stream bed and look like old cannons (not the cameras thankfully).

23_zpsimo2xdxt.jpg

Loads of bends keep leading you upstream, lots of pipes in the roof too.

24_zpsgzpb8wkf.jpg

Transition from a stone barrel to concrete wall in this section.

25_zpsua2ztwwe.jpg

A nice transition back to stonework at this point as well as the old pipe hangers minus the pipes.

26_zpsupvsmcad.jpg

More concrete and pipes hanging from the roof.

27_zpscmqswgy7.jpg

A nice section where the asbestos lagging has become exposed on the pipes, probably storm damage. Easy and safe enough to avoid, you just have to remember that it's there.

28_zpsyjpej3at.jpg

Looking back at the previous section and transition again to stonework.

29_zpsn9s3pivh.jpg

I just loved all the features in this culvert, they just keep on coming.

30_zps1nl0nmci.jpg

Long section of stonework, just a nice place to be.

31_zpsrwkqrq0f.jpg

First sign of light for a long time, presumed this was linking back with the upper section I had already been in.

32_zpst5ns3aui.jpg

Sure enough I ended up at the weir I had descended earlier in the trip. The section of still water infant of the weir is at least waist deep, this time of year I prefer to stay dry.

33_zpsondbakkq.jpg

Next section of photos are of the short upper section taken earlier in the day. The weir is a great feature.

34_zps5fvpsowr.jpg

Looking down at the short open section and the top of the weir.

35_zpsmu04dhme.jpg

Upstream of the weir the culvert splits, both are just short sections, but another great feature.

36_zpsus0xqrk4.jpg

And this is the upstream end of the culvert, where it all started a couple of hours before.

37_zpssobfclkr.jpg

Well that's it, 2 stunning culverts in a day, as far as I know neither have been reported. This has to be my favourite of the day and is high on the list of ones I've been down.

Cheers,

TLR.​