real time web analytics
Report - - ZW3 Burnt Farm Heavy Anti-aircraft Battery , Broxbourne, 09/2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ZW3 Burnt Farm Heavy Anti-aircraft Battery , Broxbourne, 09/2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

air4385

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History-
The ZW3 Burnt Farm Heavy Anti-aircraft battery was an air defence unit of the British Army during WW2. During the war Burnt Farm was separated into two parts. There was a domestic area to the north which included the accommodation and general administration buildings. To the south of the site is the operational area which includes the guns and buildings that housed the gunners and command staff, the power supply, ammunition, communications equipment and targeting devices. In 1940 the site was armed with three-inch mobile guns, later in the war they were replaced with 3.7 inch and 4.5-inch guns.
During WW2 there were 274,900 men in the Anti-aircraft command, helping to protect Brittan from bombings and air attacks.

My day-
Finding this location wasn't the easiest as it took a lot of walking through fields, stinging nettles and thorns. However, despite the pain it was still a nice journey there. When we got there, we realised that the area had overgrown a lot, making it difficult and in some places impossible to get too. It is very clear that no one has been there in a long time and that no one looks after it, this is a shame as the buildings are still in good condition. I am not sure which each of the buildings was used for as it was hard to tell with what little was left inside. This site would definitely be better if the surrounding grounds was looked after better, if all of the thorns could be removed then I would definitely recommend this site. In some rooms there is graffiti and in all there is broken glass and rubbish.

I was unable to get inside this part, my partner was able to and he said that it was just full of rubbish.

The buiding to the south from the outside.

Building to the north.

Inside the first room in the building to the south

Inside the second room in the building to the south

North building from the ouside.

N.J.A.A

28DL Member
28DL Member
Try Panshanger House Orangery and try Panshanger Aerodrome
The orangery is fantastic. Me and a couple of mates found our way in a few years ago and there are some "tunnels" underneath (quotation marks as it is mostly exposed to the sky with some covered sections) and a strange hook dangling from the basement

dragginmenut

I have 2 I promise
28DL Full Member
The orangery is fantastic. Me and a couple of mates found our way in a few years ago and there are some "tunnels" underneath (quotation marks as it is mostly exposed to the sky with some covered sections) and a strange hook dangling from the basement
the orangery has some mazing history as well as the house that ust to be next to it how nothing is left. there is odd parts of garden walls and such laying around in bushes woods and over grown areas tho . the orangery for its time was pretty advanced. at the time it would have been all fully enclosed with glass windows that i do belive Hertfordshire council or the tarmac company do have in storage somewhere. as for the "tunnels" under it they are infact for underfloor heating as the building its self was able to be temp controlled along with a system for watering everything..... at the main end where the hooks are is where the fires would have been that heated the place up, at the opposite end of the building out side is the ice stores. there are some very very very old pictures on google if you search for panshanger house/orangery and also has alot of its history including pictures of the house,

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thats quite nice, maybe the tunnels were to do with underground heating systems for the orangery.
edit - just saw you have already stated that

Who has read this thread (Total: 290) View details