real time web analytics
Chasing Bandos podcast | General Exploring Chat Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Chasing Bandos podcast

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Good to hear from you Greg. I did actually try and get in touch with you after listening to a few of your podcasts. I'm very much interested in the while 'history of urbex' thing too so i was excited by that but also mainly worried you were simply asking all the wrong people! Bradley Garrett for example is NOT a reliable source. He was a conman who conned some accomplished explorers into letting him into thier fold and then essentially stole thier experiences to write a book and generally make money/forward his so called 'career'.

Your podcast with him is actually pretty accurate to start with. He did move here and have a hard time persuading explorers to help him, he did befriend a group of guys known as 'the B team' (I coined that phrase myself!) But it all starts to go a bit fictional after he mentions his party in Kings Reach tower. He starts telling the stories of other people's explores where he wasn't even present as his own and its all a bit cringeworthy after that.

It's a shame because that era of exploring in the UK is actually damn interesting with lots of groundbreaking stuff going on, different groups racing each other to get stuff done. Lots of 'lessons learnt' in that era current explorers probably don't even know about anymore. Bit sad it's not properly represented!

AlternativeAdventuring

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I love chasing bandos podcast, not everything on there is my cup of tea but it's normally very well rounded and full of interesting discussion.

I think there will always be people who are a bit controversial in the hobby, or people who maybe blur the lines between what we call urbex and what may be a little bit more... well... not urbex shall we say. But the podcast definitely looks at a lot of different places, opinions and discussions that I think even explain a lot about our hobby to those who maybe don't get it.

I'd recommend the podcast to anyone, especially my favourite ep which is Chernobyl 3 with the radiologist John Lindberg. I spent hours researching radiation and reading John's articles after this as it was incredibly interesting and completely separate from Urbex but still pulling in a really informative angle on a place we all are very much aware of.

I'm definitely very interested by this 'history of urbex' thing too, especially as someone who got into the hobby due to a life long love of history (and 2 history degrees that are never used other than when being all nerdy when researching explores! :D)

Hope you are recovering okay @gregabandoned - that episode was crazy and I'm still in shock from listening to it!

gregabandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know 28dl has had a few mentions on the pods & we get a bit of a bad rap sometimes but we are all just passionate explorers at the end of the day.
Yeah, ofc we will always have difference of opinions and quite frankly I would love to hear more from the Brits. We def didn't have enough British explorers.

I did actually try and get in touch with you after listening to a few of your podcasts.
Oh man I apologise I have not seen any email - I'm assuming you used email or did you try insta? I'm down to it, I would love it man - let's do it. Seems like you can educate me on the subject! [email protected] - I tried to click on your profile but it says I don't have permission, I'm not sure whats the best way to communicate. I can give you a call or email, whatever mate.

It's a shame because that era of exploring in the UK is actually damn interesting with lots of groundbreaking stuff going on, different groups racing each other to get stuff done. Lots of 'lessons learnt' in that era current explorers probably don't even know about anymore. Bit sad it's not properly represented!
I agree and Let's change that!

I love chasing bandos podcast, not everything on there is my cup of tea but it's normally very well rounded and full of interesting discussion.
Thank you! I do have to cater little bit to America audience since they are the biggest listening group atm. I do try to find other nationalities too. We had one from almost every country in Europe so far.

I'd recommend the podcast to anyone, especially my favourite ep which is Chernobyl 3 with the radiologist John Lindberg
Oh yes! How amazing was that guy! And you would never know he was Swedish :) Most posh British accent I have ever heard:) And regarding 'history of urbex' - the reason it is taking so long is because I don't want to fuck it up. I want to have balanced opinions from different parities involved. And also I have failed with people like Otter or Steve Duncan and those are unfortunate set backs.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I'm pretty surprised you gave a platform to that creep Ben James Stevens. He's one of the most despised explorers in the whole of the UK with his transgressions well documented as many people who were involved can attest to. A manipulative liar who used his position in the NHS to access the homes of people in care and recently deceased as well as well publicised accusations of unwanted sexual advances and grooming.

He'll protest until the end of time that it was all made up but everything is there, and it's probably the main reason he's not explored in the UK for some considerable time because nobody wants anything to do with him.

gregabandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@gregabandoned I fucking told you 😂😂😂
Yes you did! I'm dealing with the fallout now. It's an avalanche :) Need to check this "evidence". Certainly the ebay stuff ain't looking good. God. I will certainly need to review and decide what to do with it.

I'm pretty surprised you gave a platform to that creep Ben James Stevens. He's one of the most despised explorers in the whole of the UK with his transgressions well documented as many people who were involved can attest to. A manipulative liar who used his position in the NHS to access the homes of people in care and recently deceased as well as well publicised accusations of unwanted sexual advances and grooming.

He'll protest until the end of time that it was all made up but everything is there, and it's probably the main reason he's not explored in the UK for some considerable time because nobody wants anything to do with him.
Chasing Bandos is inclusive, come on:) And yes, I was told some things but Ben was very forthcoming about it and offered to explain. Ultimately I don't any of you personally, and my perspective is from my sofa in Beijing so I need to (sometimes) make a call. If in fact I get enough evidence for me to believe that it's not just hearsay I will certainly remove the episode. Waiting with anticipation for this damming evidence.

gregabandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ok Detectives, this my analysis of the EVIDENCE sent to me from what I was sent from 3 explorers: @urbexwithlucy, @fabuloush0rror, @lost.ireland (+ another was vocal but sent no evidence @retrospective.memory) I can see few things here [those all are The Gram tags]:

1) the most damming is selling stuff from abandoned locations on ebay - a) framed butterflies, peacock bird figure, some pen box, lady figurine, table lighter, microscope and... boiler. Looking at this stuff and the amount of screenshots provided it's hard to argue and quite frankly that would be enough for me to remove the episode - just need him to comment on it before I make any decision.
2) lying about being a doctor - I saw a post on Irish Post saying "British doctor traces family of Irish birth father who died before they had a chance to meet" article. Ben says he studied medicine and "I just do pharmaceutical now" he said to me and I'm not satisfied with his answer, it's not definite. Why can't you just say it normally. Are you a doctor or not. On the other hand... ok he is not a doctor? I'm also not a doctor:) Who cares? He was lying about being a doctor when he message some girls... okey. Isn't that his personal life? I don't get it. There are, however some very serious accusations from @lost.ireland about Ben using his doctor status to obtain pictures of girls and disabled girls? I would welcome some evidence of this because that is super serious accusation. Otherwise, effectively it is slander. One other "evidence" is a whatsup message where Ben says to @urbexwithlucy "hi Miss Lucy this is your favourite doctor speaking [...]" - I mean, make he is making himself look more important by saying 'doctor', maybe there is a narcissistic personality in play idk, but how is this relevant to urbex? This is a dude who is trying to get into her pants. Who cares? Shouldn't this be between them? Why was this sent to me? LOL Later on, in the same voice-msg conversation he is trying to invite her for Starbucks (successfully - I assume as he mentioned Monday for a meetup). I was only provided with his responses so it's impossible to say if it's this is unwanted or not. But again - shouldn't this be private between them?
3) grooming children - have not seen any single evidence of that. The only thing I saw was conversation where Ben sent a pic of a girl sitting on stuffed shark @littleangellmarr (19 year old who posts pics of herself with legs spread showing her underwear) and Ben's question of "Would you" - now I don't want to express my opinions on this because it's none of my business. How is this relevant to urbex? Legal age is UK is 18. Age of consent in England and Wales is 16. Do you think it's creepy? Sure, many would. Is it urbex? Nope.
4) YouTube video called 'Ben James Stevens aka places forgotten is a vandal and lies and takes pictures of underage girls' - is not on internet anymore
5) messaging girls - ok so I saw screenshot of conversation with Ben and some girl (her name was redacted). Starts by the girl messaging Ben first: "Hey, the places you find are amazing! Would you mind if I ask how you find these places?". So next Ben says that is a lot of work and research and suggests that "maybe they can work something out", she says "depends what you want" he replies "how about a pic of you" then SHE SENDS HIM.... is it a nude? She sends him a picture. I can't tell as the pic has been drawn over with a pink ink, you can't see shit. They both use X at the end of each sentence which annoys me to an extend but whatever xxx. At the end I see this as two playful adults where one is willing to send pics of herself for spots. Everyone is trading, current explorers should be called traders. Jesus. Anyway, that is not cool.
6) lying about having gf - from a screenshot I saw he says to the girl (the one from point 5 ) that he had been been single for 4 years. According to plymouthherald.co.uk I saw a screenshot of an article that says "Urban explorer and thrill-seeker Ben [redacted] and girlfriend Emma trespassed on the grounds, and soon afterwards the building itself". In other instance he tells that a girl called Emma is his cousin. I haven't asked Ben about this because it never occured to me that in the urbex discussion I would have to.... So... personal life? Is he a cheater? Who cares? How is this urbex?
7) voice messages on whatsup app - I was given a selection of videos playing the voice messages between him and @urbexwithlucy- and again, this is like... [facepalm] why do I need to listen to Ben trying to get this girl? He likes (liked) her and wants to meet her. Okey then. How is it urbex?

Overall, I need to talk to Ben about the ebay as this is the only thing that has any substance. There are some serious accusations thrown towards Ben, many many of them from people who never met the guy and majority not substantiated. Any of this "evidence" would be just treated as hearsay. He said that, she said that. I would also say that after one screenshot provided with comment: "finally some exposure without the police telling us off [...]" you can make a logical leap and say that this evidence was presented to the police and was met with 'bugger off response' as none of this would stand in any court. But I now entered a speculation mode with this last one.

Detective Constable Greg Signing Off

mockney reject

Staff member
Greg I sent you this before lol

The Doctor and his doctored pictures

Lol lol

The mortuary was still in use lol

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It's just a bit sad when you interview the likes of Bradley Garrett. He's not an explorer he's a manipulator and bullshitter, to the extent of being an outright liar and poisonous odious boil on the anus of exploring. He took a lot of people down with him then fucked off. It's a shame you fell for his bullshit as well. Personally I couldn't listen to that episode, not a single word of it.

Speed would be a great guest on the podcast.

Who has read this thread (Total: 231) View details