real time web analytics
Chasing Bandos podcast | General Exploring Chat Forum | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Chasing Bandos podcast

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

gregabandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love the debate guys. I just wanted to mention before I answer. There are over 100 guest on the podcast. It think there is around 150 episodes. Just one Ben James. But lets dive in.

So because they don’t want to speak on a podcast they’re liars? What does it matter if they go on a podcast or not…

This all came out years ago everyone in the UK urbex scene knows exactly what Ben is like hence why he’s moved onto European urbex. There was multiple pages on Facebook and Instagram who supplied their evidence especially with the eBay proof years ago. This thread is totally ridiculous.

Ofc it matters. It becomes real! You can't get away with it (you can try it). At least I will challenge you on it. If you talk out of your ass it will come out. If you don't have conviction, you can't hold your arguments you are running a risk of being judged. When I say "you" I mean hypothetical guest. Typing shit from behind computer screen vs actually coming on the pod and talking about... well, it is different (I think). A guest are expected to have some substance under their claims otherwise they run a risk of looking like a fool. Look at the comments here - I open myself to criticism just by interviewing people.

I simply cannot comprehend that you’re refusing to believe us until we come on your podcast. What does that change? Only thing it’ll do is benefit you with views and likes. No one in their right mind would do that.

You must’ve known about Ben James and his antics, otherwise you wouldn’t of asked him questions about the thieving and the numerous posts about him on here and other social media platforms. It seems you did this knowing you’d have bad feedback. Why? This only angers people who have had to deal with him and his constant bullshit.

I get you’re a person who’s simply doing podcasts and understanding other people’s opinions on exploring but you’ve shot your self in the foot here. He’s gas lighted the fuck out of you, and you believe him over numerous people, who have shown you evidence.
It is simply not true. I'm not refusing to believe you. I want to believe you. But are you my good friend Fedir that I trust with my life? You are not. You are a person 7h behind on an island. In order to believe you I need something - I need some proof. I am sorry if this is pissing you off. Here in China I went to a cave with 5 other Chinese explorers. I picked up some bones. One guy posted pics on Chinese social media app. Got a massive backlash so they all turned against me. Everyone touched the bones, everyone was respectful but all the shit was blamed on one fucking foreigner Greg. Classic. They called my work, tried to get me sacked. Good my boss is a British guy so he saw right through this nonsense. Than, I had an quite intimidating chat with police-officer who is an explorer here... Chinese explorers from that group turned against me. 99% I didn't even know, never met and to them now I am scum on Earth. Why? Because they read some bollocks online about me. Thank God I video the whole thing - nothing happened afterwards obviously as there was no substance but the damage was done. Fuck them.

Coming back to the topic:
I asked 4 of the explorers who I commented on the episode on instagram to come on the pod. They can say no, tell me why. No biggie. But someone in my position must be able to try to judge things based on how you guys communicate with me. I don't know you, I don't know them. What am I supposed to do? I can only go by what you guys tell me. So look for those reactions - that would inform me who those people are (perception is king, no?). And guess what - all of them were super nice to me at the beginning... until they heard something they didn't like.. something I'm going to reiterate... It is mentioned the "EVIDENCE" but what evidence was provided ? PLEASE SEND IT to me ([email protected]) because what I saw - besides ebay-stuff there isn't much that sticks. I think I already made a post on this? Am I siding with Ben? Absolutely not. I'm not siding with anyone, bunch of screenshots with people he never met talking shit about the guy is not evidence. "Something I heard" is also not evidence.

The Europeans are fed up of him now. He robbed equipment from the two morgues in France and also breaks into the German hospitals/morgues and sells the photos to the newspapers. One of my friends was telling me how they visited a morgue in Germany a few days after he visited, to find all access points bricked up. He needs to just fuck off.
I actually heard that very recently too. Trying to find out more.

Humm.. personally I just don't really get interviewing people who are just a bit insignificant. I mean i vaguely know the name but really don't know anything about him. Its not like the guy has achieved anything special or has any kind of special experience or anything really. Just another one of a thousand other attention seeking goons that have been through the hobby over the years. Certainly not the first so called explorer whos upset people and then had a barrage of accusations and what not made against them.. In fact ive been there myself many times, its just what happens when you make enemies.

Obviously you like getting people on with a cool story but thats always going to attract the kind of 'no substance' scene jockeys with a bunch of fictional stories over real explorers with real stories which lets face it are probably not going to sound quite as good without the fake hype layered over the top of them. To me if you're going to lean heavily on the whole largely fictional 'found a dead body' type stories you're always going to put off proper explorers as quite frankly we all know that kind of thing happens once in a blue moon and even with almost 20 years of experience and 1000s of explores under my belt I can only really think of one or two relevant 'morbid' stories that actually happened and none of them have actually happened to me. Frenchay severed hand in an ice cream tub is probably the only one i know of that i could actually vouch for actually happening and have proof (and photos!). Cant even think of anyone whos stumbled across a dead junkie or anything, if it does happen its quite rare.
Thank you @Speed, I do see your point here. First I would say I try to give chance to different kind of explorers from all over the world - so the "achieving something" angle is not necessary what I always seek when talking to someone - it's more about stories. I love stories. And this is what happened with Ben. Please understand that when you do a pod you sometimes want to try new things... for example, some silly quiz or when its Halloween you do a different episode - halloween-themed or when its Xmas usually there is something different again. Who wants a boring podcast? As it happened, in a short period of time I was told about multiple accounts of different stories of finding a dead body. And from story-telling perspective, I just had an idea to get 3 guys to tell it this type of story. This is how I met Ben. And rest just came out of that. I did this interview before Halloween 2022 and sat on it until now.

Also probably best not get too precious over the whole 'take only foot prints' 'who stole what' thing. Im not sure if the UK scene is actually different or if we are just more honest but taking stuff from derps is pretty much part and parcel of the exploring world here and always has been. Again its something i can talk to you about if you want but obviously while people dont exactly shout about it and there are different opinions out there as a collective we stopped caring a long long time ago. You certainly couldn't interview anyone of significance in the UK if non adherence to the 'urbex law' is a problem.
I can't wait mate. For sure.

It's just a bit sad when you interview the likes of Bradley Garrett. He's not an explorer he's a manipulator and bullshitter, to the extent of being an outright liar and poisonous odious boil on the anus of exploring. He took a lot of people down with him then fucked off. It's a shame you fell for his bullshit as well. Personally I couldn't listen to that episode, not a single word of it.

Speed would be a great guest on the podcast.

But YOU knew this. I didn't. @Oxygen Thief look, I was a nerd playing video games (Fallout for life! - when Gareth was going underground in London I was killing mutants in the Capital Wasteland :)) until I got divorced, had to rethink all my life and then I went to Chernobyl. After that everything changed. I never claimed to be all knowing. You - I'm sure of it - know 300 times more than me about urban exploring. I'm learning by interviewing people. Are they all scumbags? Again...150 episodes - how many controversial guests? This podcast is my expression, my classroom, my comedy store. If you like it - great, if you don't like it - great.

You heard interview with Gareth but did you hear the 8h conversation with Silo when he agreed with all the things you guys are now saying? Ofc not because he ended up telling me I couldn't use it and wasted my time. He doesn't want to antagonise Doug or Gareth (in comparison - wouldn't you at least give Ben some kudos for having balls to open this Pandora's Box). I strongly believe you would have a different opinion if I was able to release the episode with Silo. That episode would have been fucking gold. And quite frankly I still can still release it, nothing is stopping me but the respect of his decision. And trust me I really want to be a dick to this guy :)

My point is, I can only interview people I can find and I can only interview people who are willing to talk to me. Otter - totally blew me off and didn't respond. Steve Duncan - talked to the guy on the phone and then it just didn't happen. Moses Gates on the other had was willing, so John Law. You win some you lose some.

Look this forum - look at this threat - it's not a disgrace (as it was called by new Irish friend xxx) because you and @Speed are coming on the pod (and I'm hoping many more!) The explorers from this forum, or UK were under-featured - I hear you loud and clear. I want to change it. I already heard from American explorers the sentiment of "I have no idea what's happening over there [UK] and I want to find out".

All positives from combative Greg. And guys, the Ben thing. I'm getting bit tired of it now :)

Last edited:

gregabandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Purposely giving a platform to divisive and controversial people like Finan, Bradley Garrett and Ben James Stevens is always going to result in a pushback. Dismissing evidence provided or the people providing it just because they don't want to talk on a podcast is a pretty poor show really. You'll struggle to find any explorer in the UK worth their salt who thinks creepy non Doctor Ben is a good influence or a good example of the sort of people who do this hobby.
And a last thing.. the giving platform argument...

This one is wild to me. Should all the journalists that gave platform to Donald Trump be burned in the ceremonial fire? Guys, you are living in the Western Society with democracy and free speech and you want a guy who lives in China educate you on this? Come on :)

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
And a last thing.. the giving platform argument...

This one is wild to me. Should all the journalists that gave platform to Donald Trump be burned in the ceremonial fire? Guys, you are living in the Western Society with democracy and free speech and you want a guy who lives in China educate you on this? Come on :)

People are free to say whatever they want. But with freedom of speech comes the right for other people to argue against what was said and - like here for instance - present evidence that the person making the claims isn't what he says he is and isn't telling the truth.

You allowing a bunch of people who have basically been kicked out of the community as a whole and only have a fringe group of followers (Finan, Garrett, Ben Stevens) isn't representative at all of the main body of the community, they are shunned here for a very good reason.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Well I'm fairly representing of the community as a whole (probably much to some peopels disgust) so I will represent the otherside of the story. In the case of BJS it does just appear to be a complete non-story tho. The guy is just a bit of a goon and people don't like him. Not much more too it than that. Garrett has more of a story behind him that might actually be interesting for people to hear. BJS just doesn't seem to be worth commenting on. He's just a nobody in the grand scheme of things.

The Finan one I really liked tho. I actually think he made some really good points even if I don't nessicarly agree with his general outlook. Giving people like that a platform is important as long as there's somone there to provide some balance.

gregabandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
People are free to say whatever they want. But with freedom of speech comes the right for other people to argue against what was said and - like here for instance - present evidence that the person making the claims isn't what he says he is and isn't telling the truth.

You allowing a bunch of people who have basically been kicked out of the community as a whole and only have a fringe group of followers (Finan, Garrett, Ben Stevens) isn't representative at all of the main body of the community, they are shunned here for a very good reason.
I know it's not representative - 3/150 episodes = 0.02 = 2%

I did that. I presented the review of the evidence provided to me. Did you read?

Also, Bill Finan is ridiculous - also entertaining to argue with. Every year (as it turns out) we have annual episode on his bday (I need to figure out the format for his next one - its in 2 months, thanks for reminding)

Gareth - after this interview I have now so many questions to ask @Speed and @Oxygen Thief and I'm pretty positive they will be happy to provide those answers - at the end isn't that a positive? :)

who was the 3rd one... oh Ben, yeah. 2% @mookster give me a break dude

You should be able to click the edit button at the bottom next to where is says report
I'm not just dumb but blind too! Thanks

Also, what I found absolutely fascinating is that from the 4 explorers who left PUBLIC comment under the post of the recent episode they all had an issue about my PUBLIC comment about how they talked to me.
Two girls basically backed out from everything - one foreign girl - she said something woke and about white male privilege and her argument basically was - if so many people say something about the guy it must be true... emmmmm
I sent her this: Woman who hit herself with hammer and lied about being groomed by Asian gang is jailed

Lucy - backed out of everything (happy to provide screenshot of her response) - she still maintains the ebay

The IRELAND guy - deleted instagram or changed his name #can-you-be-more-classic

The other dude horror-something - said he is still waiting to be sent evidence. I'm also waiting

Last edited:

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
I will certainly not be represented by yourself speed . I am not a theif. I think if we are about documenting history, how can we steal it? How are others meant to document it afterwards ?

If there is a fox in a glass case and it’s called the foxy house and people go to document it , but the fox has been taken how can others document it ??

If people could search the word yoink on here or yoinked speaks for itself the history of speeds exploring.

To be fair may as well interview somebody from hms prison

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I will certainly not be represented by yourself speed . I am not a theif. I think if we are about documenting history, how can we steal it? How are others meant to document it afterwards ?

If there is a fox in a glass case and it’s called the foxy house and people go to document it , but the fox has been taken how can others document it ??

If people could search the word yoink on here or yoinked speaks for itself the history of speeds exploring.

To be fair may as well interview somebody from hms prison

You should write satire mate

Don't worry tho. People who don't like to take things from places will be equally represented. What I'm not going to do is string together a web of lies about how all UK explorers are following some take only footprints leave only foxes mentality. We all know that's not the case so let have a discussion on why it's not the case, and why most of us dont preach that bollocks on here.. Your point about the fox is actually quite relevant but if the fox was somthing actually important rather than just 50quid on ebay there's arguments to save it rather then leave it to the mercy of a derelict building. Unfortunately for yourself keeping happy the kind of people who get the tourbus to an old house to look at a stuffed fox is hardly a priority for the most in the community.

Who has read this thread (Total: 230) View details