real time web analytics
Report - - Denbigh Asylum, Wales, August 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Denbigh Asylum, Wales, August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
I only had a few hours to explore this place (which wasn’t enough as it’s huge). It was a nice easy explore, and I managed to avoid Elwyn and his dog. The dog actually helped matters – its barking alerted me to their location so I could go the other way!

History:
The North Wales Hospital (locally known as Denbigh Mental or Denbigh Asylum) is a Grade II listed building. It was designed by architect Thomas Full James, and building started in 1844 and was completed in 1848. Once a hospital for people with psychiatric illnesses, at its maximum capacity it could house 200 patients. It was closed in sections from 1991 to 2002.
On 22 November 2008, during work to renovate the building site and convert it to apartments and residential properties, the building caught fire; it was later confirmed that the main hall of the hospital was destroyed. Arson was suspected.
Currently on the buildings at risk register, planning permission has currently lapsed. In 2011 the building was at risk of collapsing and no action was taken by the owners after an urgent works notice was issued, Denbighshire Council had no choice but to carry out repairs on the building which has reached £930,000. In 2013, Denbighshire Council voted to press ahead with a compulsory purchase order on the building; the council, however, wish to reach an agreement with the owners before taking legal action. An estimated cost of repairing the building is £1 million.

Photos:

IMG_3306_zps350e37b1.jpg

IMG_3313_zps8044858d.jpg

IMG_3140_zps99b1bd0d.jpg

IMG_3166_zps250926c4.jpg

IMG_3271_zps8adc3eea.jpg

IMG_3146_zpse70683c6.jpg

IMG_3236_zpsba4c2637.jpg

IMG_3169_zps93046e46.jpg

IMG_3203_zps2fbd05c1.jpg

IMG_3122_zps8b02594b.jpg

IMG_3133_zps7c9a0266.jpg

IMG_3298_zps057d3dd0.jpg

IMG_3253a_zpsad7983e9.jpg

IMG_3179_zps889439c1.jpg

IMG_3067_zpse19efefa.jpg

IMG_3107_zpse53a61ce.jpg

IMG_3112_zps2cb9b385.jpg

Last edited:

Leeds(Ex)plorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Got some decent pics there

I can't decide if its my eyes but something is 'off' with them, is it how youve edited them or am I going mad?

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member

I can't decide if its my eyes but something is 'off' with them, is it how youve edited them or am I going mad?

No, you're right, a few of them do look a bit weird to me too now you mention it....

Last edited:

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member

Now this is weird.... if I'm not logged in the photos look fine, but if I'm logged in they look weird. I wonder why that is!

JaneEyre

The clumsiest explorer in Yorkshire!
28DL Full Member
nice airy photos, maybe it is the screen res making them look weird? mine sometimes get smooshed and look off, but tbh they look ok to me on my ipad so who knows :)

eitherway a nice take on this place, nice to see Becca got in the body fridge :)

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
It's so trashed in there, that I couldn't even tell which bit had been on fire and which bit hadn't!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's so trashed in there, that I couldn't even tell which bit had been on fire and which bit hadn't!

That"s exactly what the Chief Fire Officer said.........he couldn"t tell what was trashed pre fire as it""s in such a bad state!

Maybe "Most Haunted" have returned to continue the Arson

Glad you enjoyed the place it"s nice when you don"t get hassled too much by Angry Men & Dog. Although as you say the Dog gives them away :)

Nice pics BTW :thumb

Nearly called up coming back from Llandudno the other day, but hadn"t seen a recent report post "new" fire, so passed on it. Dosn"t seem to have changed much TBH

stepr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics, and even though it's gutted, it's still a fantastic architectural gem and arguably worth the visit just for the raw architectural value. ps is that a window balancing on the precariously from one side of the wall to the other on the second interior photo? :eek:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Now this is weird.... if I'm not logged in the photos look fine, but if I'm logged in they look weird. I wonder why that is!

I just checked this with a side by side comparison - no changes. And there's nothing running on the forum that would make this happen.

The Guard Dog

Slightly older… still bites
28DL Full Member
Good to see this place again, looks like the fire is turning this into more of a derp and to visit Elwyn.

The pics are good... did you use HDR?

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
I just checked this with a side by side comparison - no changes. And there's nothing running on the forum that would make this happen.

Cheers for checking! I have no idea then. It must be a Photobucket issue.

Edit: I've just noticed that it seems to have fixed itself.

Last edited: