real time web analytics
Report - - RAE Bedford 3x3 & RAF Thurleigh Camp - July 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAE Bedford 3x3 & RAF Thurleigh Camp - July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
This place is nothing new so I won't overdo the history. Thanks to a non-forum explorer for alerting me that it was still doable - haven't seen it done in some time. Thought it would be worth a repost both for an update and so I can share my shots! Thought I'd throw the RAF Thurleigh camp in as an extra as it was a bit naff to post by itself.

RAE BEDFORD 3X3 WIND TUNNEL

THE HISTORY

The site began to the far south of RAF Thurleigh; a WW2 airfield situated to the north. The airfield itself became part of the wider RAE Bedford site and was expanded/upgraded for the flying of post-war aircraft on larger runways. Presumably, the wind tunnel site developed from a dispersed camp for the airfield given its distance from the main site, or was constructed in previously open land. The facility was chosen as an expansion of the work initially carried out at RAE Farnborough, with RAE meaning Royal Aircraft Establishment, renamed to Royal Aerospace Establishment in 1988 and then merging into the Defence Research Agency in 1991. Unlike the RAF, the RAE was a military branch of the Government concerned with innovating aircraft technology, and hence primarily worked in developing and testing new hardware and designs. Prior to WW2, the RAE worked at Farnborough to develop things like ways to land aircraft on carriers, or airships, but after WW2 became concerned largely with jet engines. The Farnborough site expanded with NGTE Pyestock purely for developing turbines and jet engines, whilst RAE Bedford was concerned more-generally with experimental aircraft development.

Numerous facilities were built at the site, including several large office buildings, a canteen, a 3x3 wind tunnel building, 8x8 wind tunnel building (the largest), 13x9 low speed building still with tunnel used by Red Bull, and a a Vertical Spinning Tunnel (VST) apparently still used for indoor skydiving although it looked pretty derelict. That would be a great one to see done. The site was decommissioned in 1994 and has gradually been repurposed as Twinwoods Business Park. Only a few years ago the northernmost building, I believe a large office block, caught fire and has been demolished, but the rest seems like it will stay for a while.

Capture - Copy.JPG

The 3x3 wind tunnel building in 1954

THE EXPLORE

We began by taking a walk around the perimeter, not wanting to risk the rather formal-looking security checkpoint into the business park. First, we ventured onto a few fields before heading towards what appeared on Google Maps as a 'pet crematorium'. It looked pretty abandoned and there was no sign of any free grub, but we tried our best to avoid it given that the access track here led to both an ambulance depot and an immigration centre. Walking sheepishly through many more fields, we were suddenly greeted by a not-so-distant tractor as we passed a hedge. Suddenly panic mode was on as there's nothing worse than an irate landowner, so we hid for a moment to let it move behind cover before carrying on swiftly in full view. We thankfully made it to a footpath which happened to lead round the rest of the site. Peering into the immigration centre's razor-wire perimeter, we knew we'd overshot our entry area. An hour later, we essentially had done a full loop all the way back to the opposite side of where we started where we finally found a fairly easy entry only 5 mins away.

Upon walking into the site, our suspicions were quickly relaxed when we found the business park to be quite public. Various cars were driving around paying us little attention and workers of various businesses were, well minding their own business. There was even a children's play centre. We realised we didn't have to be too sneaky and walked directly to the building we aimed for. We soon found an entry point and went straight in. Inside, it's clear it has gone downhill since earlier reports on here. There's some nice decay and colours, plus some interesting lighting from the skylights, but it is now quite a grim place. Whilst I bought a respirator with me, classically I didn't bother wearing it when I probably should have. Nothing screams unhealthy more than 1950s military facility taken over by pigeons. We then took a few external shots, had a little look at the 8x8 facility before dodging a worker, and then left via the main gate.

RAEBedford (1 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (2 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (3 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (4 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (5 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (6 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (7 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (8 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (9 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (10 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (11 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (12 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (13 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (14 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (15 of 26).jpg

Of course the control room was the best bit. However, don't be fooled by a bit of careful tripod bracketing, it was still pretty gloomy and 'orrible in here. It has certainly decayed a lot. Two points to ponder about control rooms: how comes they always use a light green/blue colour, and they always seem to have skylights even if electric lighting was an option. Here it looks like additional lighting was added later.

RAEBedford (16 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (17 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (19 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (20 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (21 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (22 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (23 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (24 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (25 of 26).jpg

RAEBedford (26 of 26).jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely shot mate. It don’t look in that bad condition. When I went it was snowy day and freezing. I really liked the drawers instantly. I really need to go again, I need to try the 8x8 for the millionth time ha ha.

Wastelandr

Regular User
RAF THURLEIGH DISPERSED CAMP

THE HISTORY

So here's the bonus feature; a relic from WW2 from RAF Thurleigh; the airfield which later became the main RAE Bedford site. This must have been some sort of accommodation or mess camp separate to the main technical area, and was situated just off the perimeter track of the post-war expansion runway. It is situated some distance east of the original WW2 airfield and aerials from 1945 show it to have been a separate dispersed camp from the main airfield site. The buildings are of a classic WW2-era rectangular brick construction with asbestos-cement roofs; I believe known as Laing huts or similar. Most were adjoined together with corridors into larger 'mazes'. There was also one small Nissen hut-type building.

Capture2.JPG

THE EXPLORE

We managed to get here via vehicle without giving much away. We first tried the post-war control tower only to find it had recently been fenced and protected with cameras or sensors. They seemed to cover every angle and it seemed very overkill, but it did successfully deter us. As we were leaving an alarm started going off by itself. We then moved onto the barrack huts, which turned out to be nice and easy. Whilst they were quite dull inside, they're not in too bad condition and are pretty sizeable considering they were temporary probable-WW2 buildings.

RAFThurleigh (15 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (10 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (4 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (5 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (6 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (8 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (11 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (17 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (18 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (24 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (25 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (20 of 25).jpg

Bizarre

RAFThurleigh (13 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (9 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (7 of 25).jpg

RAFThurleigh (23 of 25).jpg

A shot of the now-fortified post-war control tower to finish:

RAFThurleigh (1 of 25).jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
Shame. I quite liked that bit.
Its weird how a place can suddenly be closed up like that after years. I presume new owner, or fear over the massive car park it sits next to
Yeah it seems a lot for a complete ruin. Didn't even look particularly secure but I think those yellow things would go off as soon as you cross their path. The armadillo's lesser cousin!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shame to see the graffiti in the original buildings. I liked them bits, I know most don't like them buildings when so much big stuff in the area. Them yellow things just look like mobile lights.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Really nice stuff.
Had a few wonders around here a couple months back and managed to re-cover a lot of the site which was rather nostalgic in a way.
Also good to see coverage on the camp at Thurleigh which is often overlooked.

To have a bash at answering this:
Two points to ponder about control rooms: how come they always use a light green/blue colour, and they always seem to have skylights even if electric lighting was an option. Here it looks like additional lighting was added later.
I believe, and I can't remember where I read/heard it, it has something to do with the colours creating a calming an non-distracting atmosphere. The natural lighting from a skylight is probably additional to this?
The last thing you'd want when testing a model under high-pressure and high speed air is to loose concentration or become overwhelmed in an "oh sh it" situation.
Edit: turns out there a re loads of articles from industry consultants which cover this.

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Shame to see the graffiti in the original buildings. I liked them bits, I know most don't like them buildings when so much big stuff in the area. Them yellow things just look like mobile lights.
I can appreciate them but I think it didnt help doing big stuff immediately before. The WW2 bits feel more special when they're local I think. Still theyve done well to survive as well as they have.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Nicely shot mate. It don’t look in that bad condition. When I went it was snowy day and freezing. I really liked the drawers instantly. I really need to go again, I need to try the 8x8 for the millionth time ha ha.
I was thinking it doesn't look too bad from the shots, but in reality it just feels filthy haha. I would like to see the 8x8 and canteen and anything else, could try it with @dansgas1000 at somepoint? Would have to attempt the 8x8 on a day when workers would be unlikely to be there though.

Wastelandr

Regular User
That’s really nice. Great snaps too.
Thanks!

Really nice stuff.
Had a few wonders around here a couple months back and managed to re-cover a lot of the site which was rather nostalgic in a way.
Also good to see coverage on the camp at Thurleigh which is often overlooked.

To have a bash at answering this:

I believe, and I can't remember where I read/heard it, it has something to do with the colours creating a calming an non-distracting atmosphere. The natural lighting from a skylight is probably additional to this?
The last thing you'd want when testing a model under high-pressure and high speed air is to loose concentration or become overwhelmed in an "oh sh it" situation.
Edit: turns out there a re loads of articles from industry consultants which cover this.

Ah nice to hear, enjoyed your posts on it especially the canteen. That's what I believe is marked as the 'pet cemetery' on google (guessing erroneously). Would like to see more of the site at somepoint.

Ahh that's interesting, makes sense I suppose! I guess any control room is going to be pretty important. I wondered skylights were there for emergency purposes but maybe its also just to make things easier on the eyes. Now days there's offices with zero daylight with fluorescent lighting, they put so much thought into it back then haha. I did wonder about the colour though, thought it was a 1920s-30s thing but seems they carried it on for many decades.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I was thinking it doesn't look too bad from the shots, but in reality it just feels filthy haha. I would like to see the 8x8 and canteen and anything else, could try it with @dansgas1000 at somepoint? Would have to attempt the 8x8 on a day when workers would be unlikely to be there though.
i thought it was lovely haha. So I have done the tower, camp and 3x3 but never the 8x8, despite four attempts. I will deffo go back and try again and revisit the 3x3. Can’t say I have wandered around the fields before :D

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cracking report and pics mate. Nice to see some good shots on those little bits at the RAF Thurleigh site as well. Made me laugh how you spent an hour trawling across fields and still didn't get onto the site, sort of thing I would do haha!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Give me a date and time mate and I'll definitely be up for it :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 193) View details