real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Marines Deep Refuge - Kent - July 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Marines Deep Refuge - Kent - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with another member (Medwaydan) and a non member. I have been researching this place for quite some time now, I got closer and closer to the answer (way in) but still no luck, then to hear it had been sealed up for good. I later got chatting to another member from here and he kindly helped me out big time and I really appreciate it, faith restored in humanity! I won't name this member just incase he doesn't want to be named at this point in time.

So we sat down at the drawing board and started organising the meet and how everything was going to go down, we set aside 3 hours for the main derp itself. 2 men in and 1 spotter (complete with trench coat and glasses with nose) for blending in with the surroundings, 1 hour down then one man back out to take over spotting while the third man (me finally, after waiting an hour for them 2!) to go and enter the realm, the holy grail and endure the jaw dropping derpness that this deep refuge had ready to throw at us and my god I wasn't ready.

This place is totally untouched and free from vandalism and graffiti, something you rarely get to find and see these days. Slowly decaying roughly 80 feet below ground down eight flights of rotting stairs totally unknown to anyone above, it is an utterly stunning place, I feel very privileged to be among the very few people that have visited this deep refuge. It definitely flies right up there in the top 5 derps in my list so far. I won't be forgetting this one in a hurry. We jumped back in the wagon, all looked at each other with a stupid grin and set off back to normal life in a very happy state.

Anyway that is enough rambling, onto the brief history and pictures.

History
The Royal Marine deep shelter was built to refuge the marines. The first 2 entrances lead to the lower level where the marines bunks/sleeping area was, to the far end of the tunnels there was another entrance with stairs up to the casualty cleaning station and offices. The stairs are completely shot and are best to be avoided. The tunnels are in a fantastic untouched state however damp is now starting to take its toll on them.

3%20New_zpsesvgnu8f.jpg

14%20copy_zpsud5ho1bi.jpg

12%20copy_zps9vew3y1g.jpg

6%20copy_zpsi5sbpyat.jpg

13%20copy_zpsoppnpe1l.jpg

11%20copy_zpsivbc0q9x.jpg

10%20copy_zpsazojqfnk.jpg

8%20copy_zpsfzhnpsf4.jpg

7%20copy_zpswrenefgf.jpg

9%20copy_zpsqcvdf334.jpg

5%20copy_zpsl0vaxpoy.jpg

4%20copy_zpstcp576dx.jpg

2%20copy_zpsww0n7c2u.jpg

1%20copy_zpscrbmoyrk.jpg

Thank you for taking a ganders ;)

TERCES

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
this place looks absolutely incredible! I'd love to know the location to go and take a look myself but completely understand that it's best kept secret before it gets graffiti'd and trashed! would be such a shame. take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints is the motto

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Did you go right to the top of the stairs that lead up to the cleaning station?now thats fooking sketchy

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Incredible structure. Looks too flimsy to be that far underground...

It is a long long way down mate, I was so surprised also. Very damp down there which has caused all the rotting. The main structure is really solid, its just the internal bits that are slowly decaying as the years go on.

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did you go right to the top of the stairs that lead up to the cleaning station?now thats fooking sketchy

Yeah we covered the whole place man, nearly stacked it down eight flights of one set of stairs totally forgetting to stand on the metal edges, luckily I was holding onto the hand rail with both hands, wouldn't have been pretty ;)