real time web analytics
Report - - St. Josephs Seminary, Upholland, February 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Josephs Seminary, Upholland, February 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lavino

28DL Full Member
HistorySt Joseph’s Seminary at Upholland opened in 1883, the first phase was built to a design by James O’Bryne. Set amongst a backdrop of copse and wildwood amidst gently sloping fields, the buildings are flanked with rough-hewn stone. An upper and lower lake are separated by a gentle and soothing waterfall. 1 The 150 acres of land the seminary is built upon had been purchased at auction in 1877. The grandeur of the chapels, meeting rooms, fixtures and fittings was unbelievable.The seminary was closed during WW1 and reopened in 1919 along with a junior seminary. The second phase of construction commenced in 1923. The design was in a different style to the original buildings, however it was equally as grand. Landscaped gardens and sports facilities were also completed by 1927. A new chapel was added in 1930 along with 14 sub chapels. The final addition to the site was a science block. 2St Joseph’s, usually referred to by its students simply as Upholland, was the main seminary serving the North West of England. The sister seminary at Ushaw provided the same services for the North East. Both institutions housed both a junior and senior seminary. The junior seminaries provided secondary education in a semi-monastic environment to boys aged 11 to 18 who wished to pursue the priesthood. The senior seminary taught adults philosophy and theology as they prepared for priesthood.

visited this place over a couple of weeks 9 hours over two trips let me start off by sat this place is amazing its huge.visited with my friend tom and met various other people in there saw ferox and his gang one week a reealy nice guy we explored few parts together and the man in black was there on both occasions second time he wss showing 2 guys around so we tagged along as he knows place like the back of his hand until the ear bleeding alarms triggered by some other lads entering the the he made a sharp exit...but the rest of us carried on.

On leaving we saw the security guy just arriving a big grufter with gold teeth.ok on with pics ill put some up from roof hpoe you like....

P1160094.jpg

20150301_090455_HDR.jpg

P1160090.jpg

P1160086.jpg

P1160083.jpg

P1160081.jpg

P1160077.jpg

P1160076.jpg

P1160071.gif

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: st josephs seminary upholland

Nice one Lavino, cool set of pics mate:thumb Well done on getting a full report up.

Lavino

28DL Full Member

Yeah thanks ferox thought I'd give it another try it not that hard now I no how lol

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Good stuff lavino :thumb a bit of history is also a winner in future :thumb

runnerman

28DL Member
28DL Member
Used to be my football teams home ground here and also used the changing rooms. As a local this building has a place in my heart. It always amazes me that many people don't know it's there. The same goes for Winstanley Hall just a few miles away.

runnerman

28DL Member
28DL Member
There's rumours that there was once tunnels under this place connecting it with the now demolished convent across the road and possibly connections with UpHolland church which was once a monastery. As I said, these were only rumours.

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Here's a little video from the dorms with a horrible waaaaaa in the back ground ...

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I don't see the point of the alarms if every man and his dog is in there daily, I remember the day's when they used to give a toss about this place, fond memories