real time web analytics
Report - - Futurist Theatre, Scarborough - December 2014 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Futurist Theatre, Scarborough - December 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Sometimes, once in a while an explore opportunity comes that really confirms to me exactly why I love exploring…. why I don’t mind driving through the night after a full day at work, why Im not bothered about being covered in muck and dust literally from head to foot and why that huge bruise on the shin doesn’t really hurt after all…. It’s because of that moment as you’re tip-toeing about, checking every corner for PIR’s / alarms and you eventually get to where you want to be and open that door to see a huge mint auditorium lying straight in front of you. The smile you exchange with your explore partner and the silent “yes!!” you both mouth makes it all worthwhile.
I loved this place, it was a great place to mooch around in and I just wish I could have stayed a bit longer, as I’m sure there’s much more to see. Visited with Sed…. Thanks for the company and the mucho hilarity on the roof (!) :D

From wiki -
The Futurist was built as a cinema in 1921. It remained in this role until 1958 when the stage was extended to allow live performances at the venue. Further extensions to the stage allowed the popular The Black and White Minstrel Show to perform there many times when it was owned (between 1966 and 1974) by Robert Luff, the producer of the stage version. The extension to the stage meant the closure of the adjacent Arcadia Theatre which became a lounge.
During the 1980s, Scarborough Borough Council took over the property and leased the theatre to Apollo Leisure Ltd (UK), who ran it until September 2002.
In December 2002, Barrie C. Stead, who also runs the Hollywood Plaza cinema, took over the Futurist and refurbished the theatre and cinema, installing new projectors, DTS sound system and a new CinemaScope screen.
Every summer there is a summer season with usually the same acts every week in July and August.
The Futurist has the twelfth largest capacity (2,155) of a theatre in the country, and the fifth largest outside London.

News report –
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-29708165

futuristtheatre101_zps4a743623.jpg

futuristtheatre097_zps584604da.jpg

futuristtheatre087_zpsc3e2a282.jpg

futuristtheatre085_zpsef271b38.jpg

futuristtheatre079_zps0785b88a.jpg

futuristtheatre077_zpsbc8940ef.jpg

futuristtheatre093_zpsf18ba414.jpg

futuristtheatre073_zpsec00a49c.jpg

futuristtheatre068_zps5849b819.jpg

futuristtheatre065_zpsb5683a2e.jpg

futuristtheatre063_zps0a0a896d.jpg

futuristtheatre057_zpscf9cb675.jpg

futuristtheatre051_zps69ad0e3d.jpg

futuristtheatre048_zps7e6d61f3.jpg

futuristtheatre043_zps954e9883.jpg

futuristtheatre040_zps01ee85f4.jpg

futuristtheatre031_zps26c29a28.jpg

futuristtheatre029_zps48b7041a.jpg

futuristtheatre015_zps802098a3.jpg

futuristtheatre012_zpsec7efcee.jpg

futuristtheatre009_zps17e4c513.jpg

futuristtheatre006_zps7ea2da44.jpg

futuristtheatre001_zps0584e6e1.jpg

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Re: Futurist Theatre, Scarborough, December 2014

Very nice as usual cat :thumb

Looks like a huge place and somewhere I've not see before, good effort.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User

Wow, that's proper mint! Good work sir :thumb

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

A fine example that, cracker :thumb

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Not seen a projector room that mint since Speed and I cracked the State cinema. :thumb

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User

Now then that's a cracker, well done.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User

Tats mint cat what else can i say :thumb

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User

im amazed its actually scheduled for demo next month to be honest, as its mint inside. Thanks for the comments guys, was definitely a great night, always makes for an interesting visit when you havent got a clue as to (a) whether its actually do-able when you get there and (b) what to expect if you get in! All part of the fun.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice work Cat well worth that drive down there after all, just wished i could have been there too. Did you have anytime for that much needed ice cream you so wanted.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User

Nice work Cat well worth that drive down there after all, just wished i could have been there too. Did you have anytime for that much needed ice cream you so wanted.

haha, no, didnt get my ice cream, it was much-needed energy drinks all round instead, was a long night! yes, a shame you couldnt make it this time :(