real time web analytics
Report - - Grinkle Mine culvert (revisited) - February 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Grinkle Mine culvert (revisited) - February 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Background

I visited here pretty regularly last year between March and May, exploring the various parts of the mine site and the culvert. To my eternal shame, I never made the through trip of the culvert when it was at its gnarliest (see the following link for one of various reports: http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2014/04/tunnel-hacking-abandoned-grinkle-iron-mine-culvert/), making excuses about not having waterproof gear on. My last visit in May took place after a contractor had been put in place to dig out the knackered culvert and reconstruct it, pretty much at the same time as Acid-Reflux visited and got some shots of the cavernous maw that opened up to access the culvert from the surface. I went back a few weeks ago and realised that all the construction work had finished and the culvert was therefore fair game for exploring again - true, it's now a sanitised version of its former self, but is still interesting if you'd read up on the history of the place. Water levels stopped me getting in until February though.

History (lifted from my previous report)

Grinkle Mine was established in a steep-sided valley near Staithes in North Yorkshire after a proving drift found the Cleveland ironstone seam deep in the valley. Due to the terrain the valley (and the fact that the confluence of the Easington and Twizziegill becks is found in the valley bottom), the two streams were culverted and millions of tonnes of mine spoil from local ironstone mines was used to fill in the valley bottom, providing a level plateau some seventy feet above the old floor for the buildings etc.

Opened in the 1880s with production starting in 1882, Grinkle was part of a much larger infrastructure, being linked to the harbour at Port Mulgrave via a tramway which left the mine, headed south under Ridge Lane through a tunnel then around to Dalehouse on a raised embankment before entering a final tunnel which exited in the cliff edge at Mulgrave onto an old iron jetty to serve the Jarrow ore boats. Later in the mine's life, an incline was built to link the mine directly to the standard gauge W&MR track to ship the ore to Middlesbrough.

The culvert caused innumerable issues during the mine's lifetime, with a major collapse in 1927 causing widespread flooding in the mine and necessitating much reinforcement with iron props (now all gone ... *sob*).

Some 50 years and 22 fatalities later, Grinkle closed and has been left to the ravages of time ever since. More huge collapses of the Easington Beck culvert occurred (some very recently): ICL who own the adjacent Potash Mine employed SES Contracting to repair the culvert to prevent flooding due to culvert blockages

There are footpaths criss-crossing the site and access to the site is ridiculously simple - one thing to watch is the water level .... the day after heavy rains, the water level inside the culvert is markedly higher than in dry weather and this can have a huge impact on your ability to explore properly.

The revisit

The repaired culvert now consists of three distinct sections: the eastern section running from the portal to the pipe (approximately forty metres or so) has seen the existing brick being completely reinforced with steel sections; the middle section (which was the place where the really gnarly repairs had taken place in the 1920s) is now through a pipe set in concrete to support the crumbling brickwork and spoil of the original section and the last section has been left as a blasted section through the bedrock through to the western portal. This portal has been significantly reinforced and blocked to restrict access. Check out my previous report to see the before shots!

East portal:

NJ6A4747_zpsgozqjezl.jpg

The steelwork section:

NJ6A4709_zps1e7bhc7h.jpg

To the pipe!

NJ6A4712_zpstjjnkiwf.jpg

Totally tubular, dude:

NJ6A4713_zpsi2gxgcl6.jpg

The junction of the Easington Beck and Twizziegill Beck culverts (@ACID- REFLUX - it's not a mooring bollard, it's a capped pipeline from the drainage level further up in Twizziegill culvert):

NJ6A4718_zpsith47omf.jpg

Looking out to the west portal:

NJ6A4716_zpsjsyou0gp.jpg

NJ6A4719_zpsstb7hjeq.jpg

The west portal itself:

20151230_112722_zpsdxyllqac.jpg

Heading back in towards the Twizziegill branch:

NJ6A4721_zpsi1hihty8.jpg

A couple of shots of the Twizziegill branch - the lower section further up is a belly-crawl for those who don't mind getting bloody frozen, wet and cramped!

NJ6A4722_zpsnyttrle6.jpg

NJ6A4727_zpsa27svihn.jpg

This shot to the west of the pipeline start shows where there has been some massive reinforcement of the roof and a shaft that runs up to a surface manhole:

NJ6A4714_zpscwefolhe.jpg

From the surface:

20160207_155245_zpse9mvund4.jpg

Back in le pipe (branch on the left runs to a collapsed drainage level from the old mine workings):

NJ6A4730_zpsqy3ra5mr.jpg

The collapse:

NJ6A4729_zpszlssjod8.jpg

Looking out of the pipe to the steelwork section on the way back:

NJ6A4733_zpsqmdwbxy2.jpg

Back towards the portal:

NJ6A4734_zps8efqkcow.jpg

The view out:

NJ6A4739_zpsxhsmcmys.jpg

NJ6A4743_zpsokhqit6v.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Really good this :thumb

I've been meaning to go here since 2009 when phil D mentioned it to me

As soon as this rain decides to stop I'll have to go pay a visit

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Looks a cracker :thumb
Great pics and you've done a beautiful job with the metal parts :thumb
Cheers for sharing

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lost my invite mate :confused:

Nicely done, looking good :thumb

Every time i"ve been in the area it"s been after or during rain so i never called back to check if the work had been completed. (Although i did take the GF down to Port Mulgrave tunnel in October :eek: )

It"s certainly had a clean up inside, there"s no doubt about that, & i was more impressed when i thought it was a mooring post stuck in the deep mud :( I like the Portal defences with what looks like a landslide in front of them with all the trees etc. I bet that was impressive in full flood.

As for the culvert it looks perfectly safe inside now.......... where"s the challenge :D New section does look nice though & nice to see the other parts to the Mine ( there was no way i was crawling up there last time )

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@ACID- REFLUX : it's pretty clean inside compared to what it used to be like. The steel sections have got reinforcing steel joists in the floor which almost caught me out and sent me sprawling. The soft quicksand of the blasted section has pretty much gone as the floor is now made up of rubble for the most part. The way it's set up now means that the water flows MUCH faster now though, especially through the pipe - took some doing to keep the tripod stable during long exposure shots!

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pretty clean ? That"s an understatement from how it was before :eek: I can see @WildBoyz and his Indestructible Dinghy coming through here now quite easily ;)

I wonder what all this rain will do to the infilled field over the new steel section, i can see that dropping pretty soon, i imagine.

Now if only we could get ICL to do the same to Port Mulgrave tunnel :D

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
very good,
the original culverts so nice but the concrete & steel sections are damn ugly.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
I've been meaning to go here since 2009 when phil D mentioned it to me

As soon as this rain decides to stop I'll have to go pay a visit

if you let me know, I will give you a tour of Port Mulgrave
bring your 4 gas with you. :thumb

yeah I do remember Phil Davison,
don't think he does exploring now.

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
if you let me know, I will give you a tour of Port Mulgrave
bring your 4 gas with you. :thumb

yeah I do remember Phil Davison,
don't think he does exploring now.

If you're doing Mulgrave and don't mind company, I'd quite like another trip in there.

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went in with my 4Gas after @ACID- REFLUX had his near miss. On my phone now so can't do a linky thing. Should pop up on a search (don't think it was NP).