real time web analytics
Report - - Knights Templar Cave/ Telford/ August 2019 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Knights Templar Cave/ Telford/ August 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
History

Also known as Caynton Caves - This mysterious underground man-made cave lays randomly in some fields in the middle of nowhere.
However, the true origin is still largely unknown and various stories surround it:

The most prolific story of the origins relates to the Knights Templar movement - Suspected to have been built between 1119 AD and 1312 AD.
The Catholic military order was founded in the 12th Century to guard pilgrims on their way along the dangerous roads that led to Jerusalem.
Its members were effectively armed monk-like knights who were granted certain legal privileges and whose status was backed by the Church.
They were reputed to be the possessors of great wealth and power.

The other story surrounding this place relates to the Legg Family
who decided to build this place in the late 18th century from a former quarry into a grotto or underground folly.

Other stories relate to a rich landowner who built it for his children's entertainment or Occultists who designed it for black magic and mysterious rituals.

The Explore

Explored with @Session9 - Managed to get this done as we were in the area visiting Ironbridge the same day.
We had known of this place from various news articles released over the years and being unique as it is I was never going to pass on the opportunity to see this.
The first problem we thought we may have is actually finding it - Especially as we were literally looking for a rabbit hole within miles of several large and vast fields.
As we got closer to the location it became more and more obvious where it actually is - I don't want to give too much away at this point. ;)
The caverns comprise an irregular series of Neo-Romanesque ambulatories and chambers hollowed out of sandstone, with carved archways, pillars, symbols and niches, apparently for candles.
I must add - I bought along 60 candles and it still wasn't light enough.
The cave seems to be in 3 sections - One part is clearly a shrine, another is a seating area/lounge and there is also a font shaped object in what I consider a standing area - Hence the higher ceiling.
Although the ceiling is mostly quite low in places, it is deceptively spacious and even quite cosy. Spent all afternoon here in the end.

Pictures

DSC_1188_zpsrov0zfyv.jpg

DSC_1193_zpspkbwfnyc.jpg

DSC_1184_zpslbmybt7p.jpg

DSC_1178_zpsw4s9amsr.jpg

DSC_1197_zpsumutlkcf.jpg

DSC_1185_zpsjfb73ji3.jpg

Cheers for looking and reading all,

Luke

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
You need to sort out your photos as half are blurred and covered by a huge photobucket watermark. I imagine this is something to do with the links youve used to post to the forum. @Ojay may be able to help you with that? I never use photobucket so not sure whats happened.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice work, Ive heard of these. I thought they were on private land and only unsealed for a professional photographer! I guess they didnt close them. Very nice set. Places like this need protection.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
You need to sort out your photos as half are blurred and covered by a huge photobucket watermark. I imagine this is something to do with the links youve used to post to the forum. @Ojay may be able to help you with that? I never use photobucket so not sure whats happened.

Out of subscription for 3rd party hosting or over allocated bandwidth

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Might wanna reduce the file size though. Each photo is about 12-13MB and are 6000x4000px so they have been drastically auto rescaled by the forum software.

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Nice work, Ive heard of these. I thought they were on private land and only unsealed for a professional photographer! I guess they didnt close them. Very nice set. Places like this need protection.
Ah thankyou - They are on private land; but were wide open when we went. Its definitely worth a visit.

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Might wanna reduce the file size though. Each photo is about 12-13MB and are 6000x4000px so they have been drastically auto rescaled by the forum software.
Ah ok... Despite having put several reports up here previously - I since stepped up my camera equipment and hence picture size. Not sure how I lower the picture size and bandwidth though? How do I go about that?

Olirhys

28DL Member
28DL Member
great report mate, visited there a couple weeks ago was still open but there was a metal grill and chain lock on the floor next to it so not sure if someone has broke the lock or just left it open, shame about all the beer cans down there but amazing place

NicoECF3

28DL Member
28DL Member
History

Also known as Caynton Caves - This mysterious underground man-made cave lays randomly in some fields in the middle of nowhere.
However, the true origin is still largely unknown and various stories surround it:

The most prolific story of the origins relates to the Knights Templar movement - Suspected to have been built between 1119 AD and 1312 AD.
The Catholic military order was founded in the 12th Century to guard pilgrims on their way along the dangerous roads that led to Jerusalem.
Its members were effectively armed monk-like knights who were granted certain legal privileges and whose status was backed by the Church.
They were reputed to be the possessors of great wealth and power.

The other story surrounding this place relates to the Legg Family
who decided to build this place in the late 18th century from a former quarry into a grotto or underground folly.

Other stories relate to a rich landowner who built it for his children's entertainment or Occultists who designed it for black magic and mysterious rituals.

The Explore

Explored with @Session9 - Managed to get this done as we were in the area visiting Ironbridge the same day.
We had known of this place from various news articles released over the years and being unique as it is I was never going to pass on the opportunity to see this.
The first problem we thought we may have is actually finding it - Especially as we were literally looking for a rabbit hole within miles of several large and vast fields.
As we got closer to the location it became more and more obvious where it actually is - I don't want to give too much away at this point. ;)
The caverns comprise an irregular series of Neo-Romanesque ambulatories and chambers hollowed out of sandstone, with carved archways, pillars, symbols and niches, apparently for candles.
I must add - I bought along 60 candles and it still wasn't light enough.
The cave seems to be in 3 sections - One part is clearly a shrine, another is a seating area/lounge and there is also a font shaped object in what I consider a standing area - Hence the higher ceiling.
Although the ceiling is mostly quite low in places, it is deceptively spacious and even quite cosy. Spent all afternoon here in the end.

Pictures

DSC_1188_zpsrov0zfyv.jpg

DSC_1193_zpspkbwfnyc.jpg

DSC_1184_zpslbmybt7p.jpg

DSC_1178_zpsw4s9amsr.jpg

DSC_1197_zpsumutlkcf.jpg

DSC_1185_zpsjfb73ji3.jpg

Cheers for looking and reading all,

Luke
We went the other day and it's still open was a good visit.

Who has read this thread (Total: 472) View details