real time web analytics
Report - - Lord Line Buildings & St Andrew's Dock, Hull - April 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lord Line Buildings & St Andrew's Dock, Hull - April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
So this is a bit of a strange one, I added this pin years ago and was one of my first finds more than a 50-mile radius from where I live, it’s one that I’ve always wanted to do even though it’s not the most exciting place. Anyway, despite being quite a few years late to the party me and @V50jake embarked on a trip to Hull to look at this and a few other places up that way.

Building History
The Lord Line buildings opened in 1949 and were an important part of Hull’s fishing industry. The buildings were home to the Lord Line Trawler Company and were the main buildings of the St Andrew’s Dock site. In the 1960s and 70s the UK fishing industry began to decline for several reasons with the main one being territorial conflicts with Iceland. The Lord Line buildings ceased operating in 1975 and some operations were moved to Albert Dock nearby.

Here’s an old photo I found of the Lord Line building from 1983:

lord line building in 1983.jpg

Photo Credit: Peter Marshall.

St Andrew’s Dock History
The dock opened in 1883 and although it was used for the fishing industry, it was actually designed for the coal trade. The fast development of trawlers meant that the dock had to quickly expand and an extension was opened 15 years or so later.

The docks closed around the same time as the Lord Line building for a number of reasons. Firstly, the buildings were in need of repair so it was deemed more economical to move. An expansion of the freezer trawler fleet also meant that the dock was not suitable and Albert Dock was better suited.

St Andrew’s Dock Today
The western part of the dock which used to form part of the extension is now home to various retail and warehouse units including B&Q, Booker and Makro. The old swing bridge which separated the extension to the original part is now home to an access road for the retail units and a McDonald’s. The western part of the original section is now a retail park and only a part of the dock remains undeveloped which is filled with silt, mud, and of course the remaining buildings which include Lord Line, insurance buildings and a hydraulic pump house which is Grade II Listed.

Below are two comparison photos, the first is an old OS Map, and the second is an up-to-date hybrid/satellite map. I have circled the location of the main lord line building on both maps for reference:

st andrews dock old.JPG

st andrews dock new.JPG

The Explore
This was an easy one as expected. We parked up outside the Chinese restaurant nearby and walked down. There were a few dog walkers around and some people meandering around the triangle-shaped building right on the seafront. There were a few kids going in and out the Lord Line building but didn’t cause any trouble, there was also someone with a drone and someone else with a camera taking photos, it was surprisingly a hive of activity considering it’s all derelict!

All buildings are well and truly trashed but there were still a few decent shots to be had. We spent around 2-3 hours taking photos and did Lord Line, the hydraulic pump house, and the insurance buildings.

On to the photos, starting off with the Lord Line building.

The building towering over the remains of the dock:

IMG_2178.jpg

Ground floor:

IMG_1769-HDR.jpg

IMG_1772-HDR.jpg

Going up... the lighting was perfect for a nice stairs shot!

IMG_1823-HDR.jpg

IMG_1801-HDR.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1871-HDR.jpg

Old hooks, one of the few remaining features on the inside:

IMG_1884.jpg

I like an old lift, especially in a place like this...

IMG_1892-HDR.jpg

An old wooden worktop with a bit of greenery creeping through the window...

IMG_1895-HDR.jpg

Rusting lift cage

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1964-HDR.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1946-HDR.jpg

IMG_2012-HDR.jpg

A couple more stairs shots, I couldn't resist!

IMG_1949-HDR.jpg

IMG_1952-HDR.jpg

The lift workings on the roof:

IMG_1988-HDR.jpg

The hydraulic pump house with the Insurance Building in the background:

IMG_1978-HDR.jpg

Looking up!

IMG_2033-HDR.jpg

IMG_2057-HDR.jpg

IMG_2075-HDR.jpg

IMG_2087-HDR.jpg

One from the Insurance Buildings:

IMG_2132-HDR.jpg

And finally the other building, I didn't go in this one, but it was nice to see the old lock gates...

IMG_2164-HDR.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Trashed but still a nice way to spend a few hours. Really photogenic. I like this. The sunlight through those windows is a cracking image.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Trashed but still a nice way to spend a few hours. Really photogenic. I like this. The sunlight through those windows is a cracking image.
Thanks Jane, I had to wait for the sun to come out to get that shot!
Quite nice really & well captured. One I havent made it to yet, will have to check it out
Thanks mate, it's definitely worth a look. Nice new username btw haha