real time web analytics
Report - - Buckland Sand Mine, Surrey - Jan and Feb 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Buckland Sand Mine, Surrey - Jan and Feb 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

wibbleman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ive done a few years poking about in surrey looking for stuff and there are places even wmcs don’t know about so have a look. This one I found after online research pointed to something near Buckland. The page has gone now but cut-paste is a wonderful thing ;-)

History

No idea but the place looks Victorian. Sand was mined in the area for gardeners and for making glass and was called silver sand as it is so pure. Normal sand cave like elsewhere as expected.

Visit

Entrance is a challenge to find but walking the area you learn what to look for. First time I went here was a complete failure but I had a feeling about it so went back and checked again. Let’s just say be grateful for small animals and helpful websites ;-). Squeeze in avoiding spiders and its just walk around once in. Lovely little place and a good find. Really didn’t look like anyone had been here for ages and I reckon the place is completely forgotten about. Photos taken over two visits.

Sorry for poor photos but hope u get the picture lol.

32514417720_62bebf3e25_b.jpg

32514418110_b267c03854_b.jpg

32741256462_9d5015341a_b.jpg

32770870571_5b45094224_b.jpg

32514419830_5acdf66f52_b.jpg

32770870261_fc1fa3bdfb_b.jpg

32770870461_a7f3d9027a_b.jpg

R_yoda

Like a cat on a fence....
28DL Full Member
A very nice site this. Was holding back from posting any photos! But seeing as someone already has i may post some...

R_yoda

28DL Full Member
ive done ALOT of reigate areas sand mines, Some with permission some without. They are all very similar! Maybe i am wrong

wibbleman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was here very recently - theres no sign of any one else exploring it. It's an open site you just have to look Buckland.

wibbleman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Here is the clue from an old newspaper "Sand Caves - At the very start there will be something in the way of a novelty in store for those young people who appreciate exploring underground caverns. Only a few yards up the lane on the left side, a small opening will be observed in the hedge bank. This, on examination, will be found to be the shaft of a sand burrow. By dropping down a few feet at two points quite close to the entrance, the interior ramifications, which are of a simple order, may be explored with ease, providing, of course, that the explorer possesses a plentiful supply of matches, or an electric torch, and does not object to finding himself suddenly standing in water in some parts..."

R_yoda

28DL Full Member
Surrey is FULL of underground stuff @Decwood123 contact the WCMS. A man called peter burgess will be more than happy to sign you up to a go caving sceme, Access to over 20 sites is closely guarded by them. Apart from the sites they run.. There are plenty of others. Drop me a message mate and we can link up some time.

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
This is very nice, I love the way you can see the different layers of sediment as they've been laid down, it'd be interesting to see what the lay of the land would have been when this was the surface

Who has read this thread (Total: 142) View details